About Me

My photo
I live in Mid Missouri on a farm with my husband and daughter.

Friday, July 7, 2023

Things on the Farm

 Well, things are dry on the farm.  It's not going to be a good crop year at all.  We've had so little rain.  My garden did produce some peas and I put a few in the freezer.  Also, I picked several black raspberries and put them in the freezer.  I wasn't feeling well at the time, so put off making any jelly.  David picked cherries twice at some friends' place.  We got close to 5 gallon.  I made one batch of preserves and put 6 pies in the freezer and then several more boxes of cherries for pie.  On my Mother's Day trip in May, I stopped at the Amish Markets in Clark and bought 12 quarts of strawberries.  David ended up with 2 pies, and I made 2 batches of preserves (nephew Jackson got 1 batch), and put the rest in the freezer.  A friend gave me a few apricots.


They made some beautiful and tasty preserves.  And this past Monday, I made applesauce from the Lodi apples.  We didn't have very many and they were really small.  It yielded 15 pints.  They didn't have very much juice, so David had to run them through the press as the sauce was so thick.............think Dairy Queen blizzard when they hand you the cup upside down!  You can eat this sauce with a fork!  And you've seen the sweet corn patch.  We are up to 10 coons now.

The animals are doing fairly well.  I'm working on the Elizabeth Hartman Fab Farm quilt as a block of the month.  Two of these horses underwent surgery to correct some "mane" issues, but all are fine now.


These 2 cows had some nose issues and also had surgery.  It was "snot" for the faint of heart!


The red cows managed to avoid any "surgery".


All four of the pigs experienced some surgery to correct a chin deformity.  And obviously 2 of them were shy and didn't pose for photos.


So far, the chickens haven't shown any signs of malformation, so no needed surgeries for these!



We are expecting the arrival of goats, sheep, bees, and some sunflowers for this quilt.

And this beast had a urinary infection that required of week of twice a day liquid medication down her throat............it did take 4 hands to accomplish this.  


She seems better now, if not as trusting when she's picked up.  So that's the farm update.  The next update should come from the sewing/quilting room, although not much happened there due to illness in June.

Christi


No comments:

Post a Comment