About Me

My photo
I live in Mid Missouri on a farm with my husband and daughter.

Monday, July 18, 2022

Summer Reading and Sweet Corn!




 Yes, the sweet corn is ready............all 12 rows of it.  We ate our first ears Friday evening and put some in the freezer on Saturday afternoon.  We've had longer ears than this, but no photos.  Of course, this makes things difficult for the hubster.  He likes to use corn cob nobs.  I don't.  But we have these nifty cob nobs from Pampered Chef that you screw into the corn before you cook it, then they cool off in a snap so you can butter your corn without burning your fingers!  Only problem - this corn is so long it won't fit into the pan with the cob nobs!  (some of it only goes in at an angle now).

Now we're also playing poker during corn season........... David, "I've trapped 3 coons so far."  My dad, "I'll see your 3 coons and raise you a possum!"  And so on, we trade stories about the corn patch traps.  I think my dad is currently winning.  Whatever he has beats David's 4 coons and a possum!  


David's cousin told me once that I had almost achieved the trifecta - I had wild turkey breast and mushrooms in the freezer.  I was only missing crappie!  Well, this is my trifecta - BLT's, sweet corn, and cucumbers & onions!

We went up to Bethany last Thursday to take Willow to the lake to play (and deliver 3 quilts to my mom). Here she is waiting patiently on the couch..............you know, you have to wait an hour after you eat before you swim!  Mom wasn't thrilled to have her on the couch because she's doing some major shedding now.  We had brushed her really well the days before the trip to try to cut down on the dog hair.  It wasn't too bad.



 Willow had an amazing time at the lake.  



There was a family with young kids there when we arrived and they were amazed to watch Willow swim.  Willow was pretty crushed when they left.  My mom and dad didn't plan to swim, but after watching us, Dad questioned how cold the water was and we said it was really nice, so he swam in his clothes!


Afterwards, we played cards before we left.  Willow was passed out on the couch, exhausted from all her fun.  Mom reported that she didn't sweep up too much dog hair after we left.  My dad said it's because she had filled the lake with hair.  They said it was pretty thick on top of the water when we left.  Better there than in the house!  

We stopped for sandwiches at Burger King on the way home................yes, Willow got her own cheeseburger.  She had a good day!

When we got home, I unpacked stuff and left some projects on the steps to go to the sewing room.  I had some numbered pins (1-6) pinned into a table runner and the next morning, they were all missing.  Esme had quite the pin party during the night.  I located 4 and have since found #5, but #3 is still missing.


And now for the summer reading report..............  I am currently reading Where the Crawdads Sing and it is excellent.  We saw the movie last night and it was really good.  So I will highly recommend both.

On our vacation, we listened to a book called As You Wish....Inconceivable Tales from the Making of The Princess Bride.  Now, if you haven't seen the movie The Princess Bride, you should.  And if you liked the movie, you will enjoy this book.  It's non-fiction, written by Cary Elwess who played Westley, the male lead.  It's an older movie and when they celebrated the 25th anniversary of the movie, he decided to write the book.  Of course, the movie is based on the original book, The Princess Bride, which I have not read, but am on the waiting list for at the library.

We also listened to Jenny Doan's book, How to Quilt an American Dream while on vacation.  Jenny reads it and it is excellent.  Of course, I had read the original book, but David enjoyed listening to the audio book with me.

So there you have it, my summer reads and even some movies to watch!

Christi

No comments:

Post a Comment