About Me

My photo
I live in Mid Missouri on a farm with my husband and daughter.

Wednesday, July 13, 2022

Abundance

 The hubster loaned out his mini excavator Sunday afternoon and declined taking any rent for it.  So instead he was gifted with this wonderful array of fresh produce!


I've peeled about half the peaches and they are delicious!  BLT's are on tap for lunch today!


My 2 cucumber plants are still loaded with blooms even though I've already harvested enough cucumbers for a batch of dill pickles.


One of the poor apple trees has a branch resting on the ground because of so many apples.


And the sweet corn patch is being watched with anticipation by all, including this guy (well, he's not watching any more).


We have trapped 2 big coons.  Marshmallows make good bait for them.  Last night, we walked the perimeter of the sweet corn and dropped hair clippings I had picked up from the beauty shop.  We also dropped some of Willow's hair that I had been collecting when I brushed her.  We'll see if this works to protect at least part of the 12 rows of corn.

I have picked peas twice and should get a last picking today.  Esme is my lap sitter, but has found it difficult to get a good spot when I'm shelling peas.


She does much better with quilt binding projects.


I quilted this cute bunny pattern on a wall hanging for my neighbor.  It was so much fun to watch the bunnies be "born" in the sewing room.  It turned out really cute!


I also have this quilt top sewn together now.  It was a pattern I bought on vacation.  I used more of my collection of fabrics for Farm Girl Vintage quilts for it.  I have already made 2 quilts with those fabrics and the tub never seems to get any smaller.  I just finished piecing a backing for this from the same fabrics as well and there is still more fabric.  


When visiting my nephews, my sister-in-law cleaned out some of her fabric and passed it on to my mom.  She also had a big stack of old jeans - already deboned and ready to use!  I took those and have this large top pieced.  She is going to put it on the bed in their horse trailer.  I alternated the denim blocks with some of my homespun scraps.  You will see several pockets in the quilt.  That's so they have somewhere to put their phones at night!


I had laid it all out on the floor in Sarah's room, but the design team had other ideas.........


I was thankful that this was one of those really hot days and David was hanging out in the house, so he straightened it out and picked up the blocks in rows for me.  I have another throw size quilt with denim and homespun blocks to get sewn together.  There are still some pieces of denim left, but they will be smaller blocks.

I have also finished sewing my fish school leader ender blocks into 4's.  This is not a large quilt as they are laid out on my cutting counter (just hanging over the edges a bit).  I want to get this sewn together so I can decided on borders or if to even have borders.  


And back in the kitchen, David was making whipped cream for something and since we want everyone to feel like they are a part of the action in the kitchen, Willow was allowed to wash the mixing bowl.



She does a pretty good job, but the dishwasher will get anything she misses!

So as you can see, all this sewing, gardening, and cooking have left us exhausted here at the farm!


Christi



No comments:

Post a Comment