About Me

My photo
I live in Mid Missouri on a farm with my husband and daughter.

Wednesday, July 6, 2022

Crappy Start, Delicious End

 Well, it was a crappy start to my day yesterday.  Upon arriving at work, I (the first one there and on time) found lots of broken glass in front of the doors.  At first I thought it was from the doors and maybe someone had tried to break in over the weekend, but the doors were fine, I looked up at the outside lights, but they were fine, then glanced to my left to see my pot of flowers was filled with broken glass from beer bottles.  As I glanced around the front of the building, I saw many more bottles, beer bottle tops, and lots of other trash.  It must have been quite a wedding Saturday night.  Inside the door was more glass on the entry mats.  After chucking my stuff in the office, I scanned the event staff notes about the wedding and they indicated everything went fine...............I'm not sure how they managed to get out the door without stepping in glass.  So I gloved up, grabbed the broom and dustpan and started cleaning from the outside inward.  My first priority of the morning was going to be watering the plants as they are suffering in this extreme heat, but first I had to dig out all the broken glass and beer bottles.  It was already a very hot morning, and I was drenched in sweat in no time.  In sweeping and picking up all the trash, I came across some bright green gum on the memorial brick pavers.  Of course, with the sun beating down on it, it was nice and sticky.  I later found more of this wonderful substance on one of the entry mats inside.  All the while cleaning, I was photographing the evidence.  I'll spare you those photos.  Later when doing my walk thru inside, I discovered the trash hadn't been emptied from the women's restroom........diapers left over the long weekend can leave a lingering odor.  And I received a text from my coworker that he was having air conditioning issues (see, life could be worse!) and didn't know when he would make it in, and then the gift shop worker called to say that she had just gotten up and would be late.  When I finally got to my desk, I got to work on the quarterly payroll taxes!  I opened the museum on time, and kept working, but soon had museum visitors.  The first was a family of five from Texas.  I got them started on the video and dug out my museum script so that I could at least hit the highlights for them since the tour guide was at home with ac issues.  Then two more people walked in for tours, and it was a pretty much constant flow after that with museum visitors and people coming to book events.  Good thing I had cleaned up all the glass and gum!  When the gift shop worker showed up, she couldn't believe there were already visitors for the museum.......well, we had been open for over an hour already.  And when my other co-worker showed up, I finally got to my desk to get most of my Monday and Tuesday stuff done.  Of course, in the night, I thought of things I missed, so will probably be back in the office this afternoon to take care of those.  

Needless to say, it was a relief to get home and be greeted by Willow, Cici, and Esme...........not all at once, of course.  They don't get along that well.  It would have been really great to have a group snuggle, but I settled for the individual ones.  



Needing to put some sweetness in my day, I pulled out some egg whites I had saved in the fridge and mixed up angel food cake.  Once it was in the oven, Willow had the joy of licking the mixing bowl.  And a joy it was.  She had the sticky ears to prove it!  I made the hubs some lemon jello (his favorite treat is jello and lemon seemed cool and refreshing), then took the rotting bananas from the counter and the sour milk from the frig and made 2 batches of banana bread.  Willow was my faithful helper, ready to get anything that dropped to the floor for me.  Whenever she got tired and went to rest, Esme took over the job.  Cici just looked on from the window seat in a supervisory role.  

And then the hubs showed up.  He had to kill one of the market hogs that morning, so had harvested the loins and tenderloins.  So, we proceeded to pound out 28 tenderloins and bread them, a few chops, and some kabob meat.  We cooked 2 of the tenderloins for supper with a leftover pasta salad.  The rest were frozen and are ready to pull out for a fast and easy meal.  Of course, the greatest accomplishment of this meat processing endeavor was that Willow didn't manage to steal anything.  She was right there waiting to get anything that dropped though.

I make a good breaded tenderloin and without going into any secret recipe ingredients, I can tell you that after breading 28, there are no potato chips or ritz crackers left in the house.  A trip to the grocery store, hair cut, and other errands are on tap for today.  

There was still a big hunk of pork loin left, so after cleaning up the kitchen, we took the packaged loin, got in the Stampede with Willow and zipped down to the neighbors to share some pork.  They were impressed that Willow was able to ride that close to fresh pork and not bother it.  She LOVES to ride and couldn't care less about anything else while riding.

When we got back, I checked on the garden.


I will be getting up very early tomorrow (the hubster is getting up to load pigs at 5 am and then weigh 600 more) to pick the peas............hopefully before it's too hot.



The spaghetti squash and cantelope vines are blooming, as are the tomatoes..............yes,  all 16 plants are still alive.  I picked 3 cucumbers which was down a bit from the previous day's picking......



And we have 12 beautiful rows of sweet corn..............which will all be ready at once.  David is predicting in about 10 days or so.  I'll start checking in 6 days.  I know that seems like a lot, but when you allow for 6 rows for the coons and 4 for the deer, that really only leaves 2 rows for us.


I'm taking a couple of Walmart bags with me to get my hair cut this morning.  I'm hoping they will save me a couple of days worth of hair clippings.  Spreading human hair in the sweet corn will deter the deer somewhat.  Not a whole lot stops the coons though.  We have already caught a really big one in a trap.  I know the corn isn't ready yet because when I fed the outside cats this morning, I found coon poop in the shed and the dishes were empty and had been tossed around.  So, if the corn isn't ready, they settle for cat food.  I'm picking up more marshmallows at the store.  That is the bait of choice for the coon traps.

So that was my day yesterday...........from crappy to Delicious!

Christi







No comments:

Post a Comment