About Me

My photo
I live in Mid Missouri on a farm with my husband and daughter.

Tuesday, June 21, 2016

The power of washing windows...........

Things had been getting really dry here.  Even my garden weeds were looking droopy.  I had started taking curtains down yesterday to wash and planned to wash windows today.  However, Mother Nature had another idea.  We got 2" of rain last night and this morning.  There were even puddles!  My DH has always requested that I not begin the process of washing windows until he gets the crops planted each spring.  Somehow, a nice clean window just brings on the rain.............and today, just the plan of cleaning the windows made it rain.  So now, the Hubs has told me to pace myself since he'll want it to rain again in a few days.  If I had actually gotten all the windows washed in one day and washed the car, he would need to get out the ark!

Rainy day activity............adding the last border to my Curved Log Cabin quilt!


It's a big one, 97"x97".  I think my mom has decided to make this one her winter hand quilting project.  I even made the binding.  I have learned to make the binding as I finish piecing so that I don't accidentally use the fabric for something else.

Another rainy day activity.............finished a book and played with DD's kittens!

These cuties are missing DD who is in Kentucky this week.  I have been doing my best to make sure all her pets are loved and cared for in her absence.  I even weighed her meat rabbits this evening.  They have all gained a half pound in the last week.  

I also stained some baskets this afternoon.  I had finished my casserole basket a few days ago.
I tried to make one of the cats pose beside it to give some size perspective, but apparently they don't like the smell of the stain.
This is DD's basket which is a 4-H project.  Hers took a lot longer than mine.  Didn't she do a good job on the purple twill design!  

While she's gone this week, DH and I are trying some new recipes.  Anytime I have to go and sit somewhere and wait, I take magazines with me and clip recipes I might want to try sometime.  These are just in a big pile and I hardly ever get around to making them, but went through the pile and picked 4 new ones to try this week.  Last night we had Bacon-Ranch Chicken Skewers on the grill and the Hubs says this one is a keeper.

Bacon-Ranch Chicken Skewers
1/3 cup ranch dressing, plus additional for dipping if desired
1 t. hot chile paste
2 1/2 lbs. boneless, skinless, chicken breasts (about 4 large) cut into 1-inch pieces
24 (1-inch) pieces red onion
soaked bamboo skewers
12 slices thick-cut bacon
1 1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. pepper

Whisk together the dressing and chile paste in a large bowl.  Add chicken and toss to coat evenly.  Chill, covered at least 1 hour or up to 3 hours.
Thread 1 onion piece onto a skewer, then thread on 1 end of a bacon strip, letting the strip hang down.  Add a chicken piece, then thread hanging bacon over chicken and skewer it.  Repeat until entire strip of bacon is threaded, using 4-6 pieces of chicken, and finish with a piece of onion.  Push all pieces to the center, sprinkling all sides with salt and pepper.  Grill turning every 3-4 minutes, until browned on all sides and chicken is no longer pink in the center, 12-16 minutes.

These were delicious!  I didn't have chile paste, so just added some chili powder to my ranch dressing.  And, I didn't let them sit for an hour, but went straight to the grill.

Christi

No comments:

Post a Comment