About Me

My photo
I live in Mid Missouri on a farm with my husband and daughter.

Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Gettin' It Done!

Yeah!  I finally got the braided borders on my Bricks in the Barnyard quilt!  This quilt was started at my guild's Bonnie Hunter Workshop last September.  Bonnie is a quilter from North Carolina who designs scrap quilts, writes books, and travels doing trunk shows and workshops as well as using social media on a daily basis.  I don't know how she finds the time to get it all done.  Anyway, my guild had booked her for a 2-day event (over a year ahead of time) last September.  She did a trunk show, then a 4-hour workshop on Bricks in the Barnyard, and an 8-hour workshop the next day on Smith Mountain Morning.  I will admit that Smith Mountain Morning was a much harder quilt with lots of pieces, and a larger quilt, and somehow, mine is already finished - completely quilted and everything!  It has been for a few months now.  I had finished the center of Bricks in the Barnyard awhile ago, but got bogged down in the braided borders.  I really wanted the borders on there, so kept plugging away at them and finally yesterday decided they were long enough and started trimming them and sewing them on.  





This is a truly scrappy quilt.  It's full of fabrics I really didn't like and wanted to use up and never see again, and I love this quilt!  It's more throw-sized than quilt size, and for the effort I put in, I think it should be bigger.  But I certainly wouldn't want to make those borders any longer.  I just have to get the white flannel backing ready and hand it off to be quilted.

Another project was completed this afternoon.  We had friends over for a game night on Memorial Day, and while much fun was had by all, my dining room table didn't hold up to the merriment (no, it wasn't too much table dancing).  The table came from my grandparent's home and is over 100 years old, so maybe it was time.

For the past couple of weeks, it has been upside down like this.  But my DH ordered some parts which UPS delivered today, and now it looks like this!  Just in time for the neighbors to come over for ice cream sundaes this evening!

The other big event here was that yesterday 5 Californian rabbits joined my DD's rabbit herd.  They are so cute, but not enjoying this heat.  We check on them several times in the afternoons and will be putting ice bottles in their cages to keep them cool.  I'm also going to try putting frozen ceramic tiles in the cages for them to lay on.  Here are 3 that are sharing a pen.

Since it's definitely too hot to be outside, or clean anything inside, I should probably be heading back to the sewing room!

Christi




No comments:

Post a Comment