About Me

My photo
I live in Mid Missouri on a farm with my husband and daughter.

Saturday, June 11, 2016

Retreat!!!

My guild held their annual retreat last Friday and Saturday at Sew Sweet Quilt Shop and Retreat Center in Brunswick.  I love going there for retreat.  The retreat center is so nice.  We had a big room with plenty of outlets, ironing and cutting stations, and design walls to use.  There is also a wonderful kitchen, and the shop is right next door in case you "need" something.  The rooms are wonderful, nice cushy beds with quilts on them of course.  I worked on several projects.  The braids for the braided borders of my Bricks in the Barnyard quilt grew (I think 2 are long enough), I got several 4-patch blocks made for the guild exchange next month, and worked on some Civil War 9-patches for future exchanges.  I also finished my bug jar quilt.


Here are the blocks on the design wall.  I found some yellow dimple fabric to set them together with.  I don't have a picture of the completed top and my mom has the top now.  When I visited her this week, she loved it and asked to hand quilt it.  Since I never turn down hand quilting and I had a scrappy backing ready for it, I left it with her.  

I also worked on sewing together the blocks of the lattice quilt which is my UFO project.  I didn't find the right red for my inner border in the shop, so brought it home without borders.  I did some searching through my stash and found the trimmings from the backing of another quilt.  Even though I wasn't crazy about the print, the red was a good match.  As I was sewing the strips on, I realized I liked the wrong side of the strips better, so I ripped out what I had sewn and resewed using the wrong side of the fabric.  I then added the wide borders.  It's all ready to go to the quilter, I just need to trim the batting and backing.


We also got to see our guild's opportunity quilt finished.  Everyone made blocks, and it was really scrappy.  I love it.  Pam (pictured) did the quilting and it is fabulous.  I think we're calling it "Wholly Scrap".  Even the back is pieced with 10-inch squares.


Retreat was definitely a success!  We've already put dates for 2 retreats on the calendar for next year!




No comments:

Post a Comment