About Me

My photo
I live in Mid Missouri on a farm with my husband and daughter.

Monday, June 13, 2016

Gardening...........

Gardening has taken up some time during the last week.  I seeded my mother-in-laws cherries for her, and then picked and seeded my own.  I made DH a pie, and have enough for him to have 1 pie a month for the next year in the freezer (that's how he marks time, by the number of pies!).  I also made a batch of cherry preserves.......

I had just enough jar flats and 1 box of sure-jell left from last summer.  My DH planted peas in the garden for me this spring.  We normally have only a half dozen or so pea plants come up in each row, so he decided to just plant 6 rows this year and use all the seed.  I don't know what happened (some shift in the tides or the Earth is slightly off its axis), but we have 6 beautiful rows of peas.  I have picked peas twice, shared some with my in-laws, put a few in the freezer, and had creamed peas and new potatoes for lunch today.  Delicious!  

When I visited my parents last week, I helped my dad set out some Hostas by the new house.  They are working on landscaping, and have a long ways to go.  The new deck and sidewalks look great.

My mom and I also took a little car trip to Allendale, Missouri to visit a quilt shop there.  It was quite the scenic (and hilly) drive as not many people live there, lots of prairie!  We did see these buffalo very close to the road.


Allendale is not a large metropolis by any means, but the quilt shop was very cute.  Yes, I'd say there are more bolts of fabric than people in the town.  


Did a little fishing while we were visiting my parents.  Here are DD and Grandma with part of the catch.  I fried a pan full of fish, bass, bluegill, and crappie, and took to a dinner at church yesterday.  It was all gone.

I should note that I'm really not much of a gardener.  My mother is appalled by my garden, and I'm sure my grandparents are turning over in their graves at the way I garden.  I just like to think of myself as an equal opportunity gardener..........the weeds get the same opportunities to grow in my garden as the vegetables do.  At least I garden.  I had the opportunity to show my piano students this morning what peas in a pod look like!  The garden looks a little better now since DH took pitty on me and tilled in between some of the rows this evening.  He's waiting to pull all the pea vines next week.  I don't mind shelling peas, but picking them is not my favorite.  

Christi










No comments:

Post a Comment