About Me

My photo
I live in Mid Missouri on a farm with my husband and daughter.

Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Progress

So, while the government shut down, lots of progress was made on quilting projects over the weekend...........ok, I really don't know how these 2 things are related except that unlike the government, I kept on working!


At our Smith Chapel work day, I pieced the pineapple kit I had received at retreat the previous weekend.  It was my first adventure with freezer paper piecing - used on the top of the pineapple - and I have to say that I liked it!  Amazing, when I have hated any paper piecing method I have tried previously!  I may even try it again!  

Here is my progress on the Seeing Stars blocks.  

I have 1 & 2 (top blocks) done, which are the January blocks.  Two was easier than One.  And since I am helping make the advance samples, I have the February 3 & 4 blocks (bottom blocks) done.  Four went together easily, but I did some ripping on 3.  I'm still not totally happy with it, and if I have enough fabric when all the other blocks are done, I may redo it.

Also on Saturday while listening to Carter's basketball game and Sunday during the football games, I worked on nephew Jackson's birthday quilt.  The 35 center blocks are done and sewn together.  He just painted his room red and gray.  My sister didn't want any white/light colors for his quilt, so I chose the black, gray and red.

I tried and tried to get a photo without a cat on it.
I have to decide on borders now.  I'm thinking this will go to Cuts 'n Bolts in Chillicothe for quilting.  I have already looked at their quilting designs and have one in mind.

And, I have been working with some of the fabrics I purchased at Missouri Star in Hamilton last Friday.  I have 24 of these old friendship blocks purchased at an auction.  I don't know who any of the people were, but have enjoyed imagining their stories while I am putting their blocks into a quilt.  

I had looked at these several times trying to decide what to do with them, there was a size variance of about 5/8's of an inch between the blocks.  I even considered ripping them apart and remaking them to all be the same size.  Some are hand-pieced.  I finally decided to just leave them as is (all the ripping wasn't all that appealing), and trim a few and adjust seam allowances to accommodate and hopefully it will work.  So, some of those star points have been lost.  It's really the names and fabrics that I think are the most interesting part, so I'm not going to worry about star points. I have the sashing rows complete and am ready to set the blocks together.

Work on the sewing room continues, so I was very glad to have the machine in the basement to sew on this weekend.  I did make a few trips from the basement to the second story for ironing.............good exercise!  It was nice to invite the Hubs to set in the recliner next to me to watch the football games while I sewed.  Of course, I just couldn't let him sit there idle, so I handed him a pair of scissors and the end of the chain of blocks that were coming off the machine.  He had these nice little piles of blocks around him while he was watching football!  

The sewing room is getting paint today.  Hopefully I can get back in there tomorrow to put away the purchases from Friday.

Here are the 2 pieces I purchased just for Stash Enhancement!  

Things with Jason are............well, let's just say he's still with us.  He now has to sleep in a room in basement by himself at night.  He has a litter box, water, and plenty of toys in there and the rest of us (including Cici) sleep much better this way.

He does sleep once in a while!  I guess if you put a quilted table runner on your table, you should expect a cat to sleep there!

And, he still hangs out in the bathroom with me in the mornings!  He has an unusual fascination with the faucet and tries to reach up in it..........no idea why!  And, the temptation to turn the water on full blast can be overwhelming, but so far I have not given in to temptation.

Christi 

No comments:

Post a Comment