About Me

My photo
I live in Mid Missouri on a farm with my husband and daughter.

Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Cake for Breakfast!

The 2 blackberry bushes are producing nice big berries.  I'm picking about a quart every other day.  I also found the first 2 cherry tomatoes............of course they look more the size of grape tomatoes.............



They make the blackberries look even larger!  DH informed me last night that he NEEDED angel food cake to pour his blackberries over.  Since it was still extremely hot last evening, I promised to make an angel food cake early this morning.  And somehow my day turned into something that reminded me of the kid's books "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie" ....he's going to want milk to go with it, or "If You Give a Pig a Pancake" ......he's going to want syrup to go with it, but my story went a little bit like this:

Having made a chocolate buttermilk cake last week (when DD informed me there was nothing sweet to eat), I had saved the egg whites.  Of course, it takes A LOT of egg whites for angel food cake, so I now had an abundance of egg yolks, so I decided to make chocolate pudding from scratch, which only used part of the egg yolks.  So, I decided to make egg noodles (which are currently hanging from clothes hangers on my kitchen cabinets), which means I would need to cook a roast with carrots and mashed potatoes for supper to go with the noodles.  So, of course, DD says well if we're having all that, we probably need homemade rolls to complete the meal (which are currently rising on the kitchen counter).  Okay, maybe this is starting to sound a little Biblical, like in Genesis where someone begat someone who begat someone.............angel food cake begat chocolate pudding and egg noodles which begat pot roast with carrots and mashed potatoes which begat hot rolls, and so on.  My entire day has been spent in the kitchen because the blackberries also had to be washed, and the brown bananas had to be made into banana bread, and there are still potatoes to peel for supper!  

I'm going to share the buttermilk cake recipe which I made one evening last week.  DH and DD think cake MUST have frosting, but it was too warm to frost that evening, so the next morning, I had a piece of unfrosted cake for breakfast.  The rest of my family declined, but did have cake for breakfast the next day when it had frosting!

Chocolate Buttermilk Cake
Mix:
2 cups sugar
2 cups flour
1 T. baking soda
1/2 cup cocoa
1 T. vanilla
1/4 t. salt
Add:
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup oil
3 egg yolks
Add: 
1 cup boiling water
Bake 1 hour at 325 degrees.

Shadow Icing
2 cups powdered sugar
1/2 cup crisco
1 t. vanilla
1/4 cup hot milk
Combine and beat at high speed of mixer for 10 minutes.

And my angel food cake recipe is from my Great Aunt Mildred:
Sift together 1 cup soft as silk cake flour and 3/4 cup plus 2 T. of sugar.  In a mixer bowl, beat 1 1/2 cups egg whites and add 1 1/2 t. cream of tarter, 1/4 t. salt and 1 1/2 t. vanilla.  Beat on high speed and gradually add 3/4 cup sugar a little at a time.  Beat until stiff peaks form, then gradually fold in the flour mixture.  Bake at 375 degrees for around 30 minutes.  
I usually split the batter between 2 loaf pans and then can slice it nicely for berries or peaches (and I can slip one of the loaves in the freezer for the next time someone NEEDS angel food cake!)

Christi

No comments:

Post a Comment