About Me

My photo
I live in Mid Missouri on a farm with my husband and daughter.

Monday, August 1, 2016

Happy Birthday Harry Potter!

Okay, so I'm a day late in wishing Harry a Happy Birthday, but I was too busy reading this...


I purchased my copy after 11 AM and finished it in the evening.  It was wonderful!  I did manage to fix lunch for the Hubs, and help my friend Nichole finish her deer antler basket (see photos below), and evening attended an ice cream social in the evening and listened to wonderful gospel music. 

 It was just so much fun to reconnect with Harry and all the other characters in the book.  I remember when I first discovered Harry Potter.  DH was a substitute mail carrier and liked to listen to audio books while driving his mail route.  I accidentally picked up the 2nd book in the series for him from the library without really realizing what it was.  He loved it and begged me to find the first one.  I checked it out just in time for a road trip to visit my sister in Jefferson, IA.  It's a long drive.  I remember pulling into her driveway (she's moved to a different house since then) late in the evening, and just sitting there with DH because we didn't want to get out and leave the story!  That's when I got hooked.  I had to read them all, but only the first 4 books were even out.  I remember watching on the news all the excitement about that 4th book and not understanding why everyone was so excited.  After reading the first 4 books, I joined the mania and anxiously awaited the next installment. 

 It was released at 12:01 AM on a Saturday in July and I knew that my teenage neighbor would be driving into Walmart right then to buy his own copy, so I gave him some cash to buy copies for us and we left the back door unlocked so he could stick them inside the house so they would be ready to read when we got up!  The day was spent in the recliner with DD (just a little girl at the time) sitting on my lap while I read.  She alternated between watching cartoons and reading her own stack of little books that she had piled by the chair.   I'll never forget her saying, "Mom, what's the name of your book?" Me, "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix."  As she looked at the cover of my book she says, "Mom, I don't see an F anywhere in that title, are you sure you're reading the right book?"  

She finished her copy this morning before going to work.  Yes, we got our own copies.  She'll take hers with her, and I'll be loaning mine to my mom to read.  Speaking of Mom, I just got one of her quilts back from the quilter.  It's a Surprise Star pattern from Missouri Star Quilt Company.  


I like the colors she used and the great quilting in the light squares and triangles.  I'm working on the binding for her.

Here are the pics of Nichole's antler basket.............

This is the 3rd antler basket I've helped her with.  She's donating this one to a silent auction this week at the National 4-H Western Heritage Shooting Sports competition.  

Also, DD is turning 19 this week!  We celebrated at the grandparent's house over the weekend.

It was a very rainy day here today.  Good day to read a book (if I hadn't already finished it!), so did some sewing instead.  
Christi

No comments:

Post a Comment