About Me

My photo
I live in Mid Missouri on a farm with my husband and daughter.

Sunday, August 28, 2016

College Visit and Quilts!

Yes, we have already made a trip back to Rolla to visit!  And deliver more stuff!  I know, I keep thinking about bringing it all back home in the spring............and I'm enjoying not having all that stuff sitting around.  DD really "needed" her keyboard, and "wanted" her golf clubs and a visit from her rabbit.  Yes, we took Ian.  I thought we were going to be bringing bff Kari also, but something came up, so it was just the rabbit.  Oh, and she needed Dad to fix some stuff too, so the tools went back.  

So, not only does Ian have enough show wins to be a registered champion rabbit, but he's been to college now too, so is smarter than the other rabbits!  We took DD out for lunch and to Walmart where she picked up a skillet and griddle.  There is a kitchen in her dorm apartment and she has been doing some cooking.  She doesn't particularly like the campus food.  She even took all the leftovers from our lunch.  I had to get DH some ice cream on the way home since he didn't get my leftovers.  She also took us to a used book store in downtown Rolla that is really great.  She does have an actual light over her vanity now instead of the previous construction light.  However, there is still a lot of work to be done.

This is the sidewalk we used to get in.  She's also experienced her first fire alarm (11:44 pm on Friday evening) in which she was forced to use the emergency exit where there is not concrete sidewalk yet.  

On the way home, there were a couple of antique/flea market places (ok, there are way more than a couple, but these 2 were first on my list) I wanted to stop at.  DH conveniently sailed right on past the first one with the assurance we would hit the next one, only to find it closed at 2 PM on Saturdays.  Oh well, next time.

We did stop to visit cousins and aunt in Ashland.  Ian had to hang out in the shade in the back yard.   Had a short, but nice visit with plans to visit Hamilton together on our way to a family reunion.  No pics, since they don't like to have their pictures taken!

I took a project (barely found room for it with everything we were taking) to work on during the drive.  I'm happy to say that I finished binding my UFO challenge project.  
This is a lattice pattern from Missouri Star that I made with a layer cake.  The fabric collection name was Through the Winter Woods.  It looks great on the spare bed.  Mary did the machine quilting for me.  

Here are close ups of the quilting.  I love the holly she did in the dark red border, and the second photo shows the back so that you can see the quilting.  The blocks have a poinsettia style flower.  
Mary also brought me this quilt of my mom's that she had finished quilting.  It's called the Dandy Star and was a Missouri Star tutorial.  It isn't trimmed in the photo, but I have it trimmed now and am working on the binding for her (wasn't it nice of Mom to send me the binding fabric!).  Pinks and Purples are so not my colors, but I really like this quilt.
Here is a photo of the back so that you can see the quilt design.  I don't have enough creativity to plan this kind of quilting pattern.

Mary delivered it to me at school where I was subbing on Friday at the career center.  They have put in new air conditioning, and so the office asked me at the end of the day if I had a quilt delivered because I was too cold.  
As I was putting the quilts away after taking the photos, I snapped one of the quilt that actually lives on the bed.  My mom gave us this for Christmas.  It's a Missouri Star (Missouri Star pattern) that she pieced and had an Amish lady hand quilt.  My dad helped with the pillows.  It's so simple with only solids (she had a large stash of these to use up), but is so striking.  I get lots of comments on it.
Christi

No comments:

Post a Comment