About Me

My photo
I live in Mid Missouri on a farm with my husband and daughter.

Monday, August 22, 2016

Two Weeks and So Much Has Happened!

I can't believe it's been 2 weeks since I blogged!  Some would think I was on vacation, but it really didn't feel like a vacation.  Let me catch you up.
1.  Made pasta sauce and salsa, peach preserves (no photo), and put many peaches in the freezer.
2.  Went to the Lyceum Theater to see Fox on the Fairway which was fabulously funny! 

3.  Visited the State Fair on opening day (hottest day of the fair!).  DD wanted to relive all the fun activities she has done since she was little, so here we are waiting for the racing pigs.  It was really too hot to race, so the pigs had to be chased around the track.  
 And we had to visit the conservation building to see the snakes, fish, etc.

You can see one of the fish posed with her, but that really distracted her from the photo - note the eyes!

And she had to eat all of her favorite fair food...........pork burger, pulled pork, snow cone.  It got too hot and we got too tired to get the deep fried oreos.

DH had (yes, he was totally FORCED to do this) to return to the fair the next day to judge the BBQ contest............you feel sorry for him, don't you?  At least he brought us a slab of ribs.
DELICIOUS!  Then came the packing for college.............


And this was only one car.  Ours was filled as well.  DD's dorm is brand new, apartment-style, and really, in my humble opinion, not done!  DH took wood and tools to build shelves to fit the space, once we got there.  He worked in the parking lot and said he could have made millions building stuff for kids.
Her dorm is the one farther back on the right.  You can see by the dirt, just how much work remains.  It's worse closer to her dorm.  If you look closely, you can see the orange construction fencing which lined the circuitous route we had to take to get in.
Note the construction light over the vanity area........and no towel racks!  Of course, this was taken over a week ago.  Now that light doesn't even work, so they are in the dark!
I do like that they have kitchen facilities in their "apartment".  I know she has done some cooking.  I have started making and freezing some things for her to have.......lasagna!
This is her desk and dresser area - under the lofted bed.  She has rope lighting under the bed.  
And here is a game of bubble soccer being played.  We just watched.  She took a class during the opening week, so has that one completed and starts her regular schedule this morning.

So after returning from Missouri S&T, DH and I went back to the state fair on Monday when the crowd was light and the weather was much cooler.  We enjoyed more good food from the Pork Place and just had to try this..........
Maple Bacon Funnel Cake!!!!!

And I discovered this really cute Harry Potter quilt in the 4-H building.  For those of you who aren't familiar with HP, this represents the uniforms of each of the 4 Hogwarts Houses, Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Slytherin, and Ravenclaw.  The corner of the quilt is turned up to show the Harry Potter fabric on the back.

And last, but definitely not the least, there was a quilt guild meeting.  We had an amazing trunk show by Marilyn Francis from Sisters Fabric Farm.  Here are some of the highlights.

Wonderful applique..........something that I probably won't be doing.
 
I might try something like this since I love a good Log Cabin block and have always wanted to do a Bear's Paw.
This was simply amazing............how many pieces could there be in this quilt!

And then we get to the embroidered quilts.  She said the embroidery for each of these took a year.
 If you zoom in, you will see that the embroidery is Halloween scenes.

 And I loved the nostalgic feel of this one, old automobiles, gas stations, etc.  Kind of a Route 66 theme.  She had made this for her husband.

And this was definitely unique and quite showy.  It's not something I'd ever do, but it was really fun to see.

Well, that's all for now.  I did do some sewing and quilting during the past 2 weeks while watching the Olympics (photos to come).............That's why I was too busy to blog, I was watching the Olympics.  Honestly I'm glad the Olympics are over.  It was fun to watch, but I'm ready for some regular TV time...............and am looking forward to the winter Olympics in 2 years.  Favorite thing to watch..................Curling!
Christi


1 comment:

  1. Whew! Busy two weeks. Thanks for the review of the trunk show.

    ReplyDelete