About Me

My photo
I live in Mid Missouri on a farm with my husband and daughter.

Monday, October 7, 2019

Corn and Pumpkins


As you can see, corn harvest is happening!  This photo was taken last Tuesday when I came home from work to find my natural privacy fence missing.  I had begun to feel better, so took some time to ride along in the combine with the hubs.

Here's my view from the combine...........

And here is my driver, talking on the phone while driving!

Unfortunately, the whole feeling better after the sinus infection that settled into the right side of my face was short-lived.  Wednesday morning I got up to discover that I was allergic to the antibiotic (I had been taking it for over a week) and I had a wonderful rash all over.  I went to the doctor and he changed the antibiotic and put me on steriods which really bother me, so I was back to sitting around and resting.  I had some binding projects to work on, and I had a little help.

Nemo tried to comfort me by nestling close while I was binding some smaller projects.

Here's our attempt at a selfie...........

Can you just feel the stress in him???!!!  He might have been a little stressed if he had realized just how many times I dropped my needle on him.  I would feel around his fur gently until I found it and he would just purr louder as I "petted" him!

What were we working on???

This is my own design.  I had been looking at pumpkin carving ideas on pinterest and was remembering a stack of carved pumpkins at the public library one year (a long time ago when we took Sarah there for story time).  I was contemplating trying something like it this year, but getting the right size pumpkins was going to be tricky.  So, I decided to make it in fabric.  All of the little squares are 1.5" and finish at 1".  I drew it out on graph paper, and had to make lots of adjustments as it first started out way too tall.  That bottom pumpkin had to be squished down a little (which is probably what gives him such crazy eyes!).  It was still pretty long, so I finally eliminated the mouth on the top one and scrunched the mouth on the second from the top.  For the eyes, I went back and looked at Sarah's Veggie Tales videos and tried to emulate Bob the Tomato, and Larry the Cucumber's eyes, but made with squares and half square triangles.  I tried to make each Jack-o-lantern with different shadings of orange, to give them a little more definition.  I think the top stem should have been made with a darker green so it would show up in the background fabric better.  I had originally intended to cut all the background fabric into 1.5" squares and then sew them back together, but as I got into the project, it started to seem a little silly to cut apart the same piece of fabric and just sew it back together.  The teeth are made from music note fabric, so it appears as though the teeth are a little dirty.  The eyes are just odds and ends of black buttons leftover in my button box..........none really match.  

I'm contemplating writing up a pattern.  There are some things I would definitely do differently, but I think it's pretty cute.  I'm calling it Stack of Jacks.

I also finished this Halloween Wall Hanging..........
This comes from a panel called Salem Quilt Show.  If I hadn't gotten my first idea for my Musical Inspiration Challenge Project finished, I would have used this and the musical inspiration would have been the Frank Sinatra tune, "Witchcraft".  But, my first idea turned out really well.............I just can't share it yet since we have our meeting tomorrow night and it will be presented at the "recital" with everyone's entries.  I'm sure I'll have lots of interesting pictures to post from that meeting.

I love all the colors in this wall hanging.  I just raided my 2.5" squares and strips and didn't really have to cut much of anything for this.

So, this wall hanging will be shown during show and tell Tuesday night, and then I'm mailing it to my sister.  She has the perfect rack to hang it on in her hallway.  Yes, it's a surprise and it will be a surprise to her because I'm pretty sure she doesn't read my blog.

I also finished binding a set of placemats that will be a Christmas present for one of my nephews.
These were made from homespun fabrics.  There will be cloth napkins from homespuns as well.  Again, I'm not worried about showing it before Christmas as my brother's family doesn't read my blog either.

That's all for now.............I'm sure there will be many more pics from the quilt meeting tomorrow evening.

Christi

No comments:

Post a Comment