About Me

My photo
I live in Mid Missouri on a farm with my husband and daughter.

Sunday, October 8, 2017

Ozark Festival of Quilts

We visited DD in Rolla on Friday and Saturday.  I was planning to make this trip solo and just camp out in the dorm room, but due to the rain, the Hubs decided to make the trip.  We stopped in Columbia first where I met some of my piano students at the music store to select Christmas music..................It will be here before you know it.  I've been playing Christmas music all morning!  

DD took us to see the human resources department where she works on campus this year, and to see the renovated food court and the bookstore (where she indicated some Christmas ideas for me).

We got to attend fencing with DD Friday night...........she's the one on the left!  
On Saturday morning, we took DD and her roommate Paige with us to the Ozark Festival of Quilts held by the Piece and Plenty Quilt Guild at the middle school in Rolla.  There were over 200 quilts on display, about 20 vendors, silent auction, raffle quilt, bazaar, vintage market, quilting demonstrations, and more.  It was a little overwhelming.  I didn't actually make any purchases, but did pick up cards from all the vendors so I could find the quilt shops later.  There is a quilt shop in ROLLA!  Can't wait to go back and check it out.

The quilt display was one of the most varied I have ever seen.  It was interesting looking at everything with Sarah and Paige and hearing their comments.  The hubs went on his own looking.  I discovered that Paige (from Newton Kansas) would be a good member of our guild since I think she has more UFO's than I do.  She really enjoyed the quilts.

 This wall hanging was made from tiny hexies..........however, was proclaimed "ugly" by the college girls since they didn't like the colors!

 I thought this old lady wall hanging was pretty cute.  The girls liked this fox quilt made from triangles (I should have mentioned that they are both aerospace engineering majors).

 I liked this 16 patch quilt.  The dominant color didn't come through in this photo, but it was lovely.  Obviously, I'm not into the "rocket science" type quilting and enjoy a simple scrappy quilt.  The girls really liked this elephant quilt.............they both like purple.

 The quilting on this flower quilt was gorgeous. 

 I have made several jar quilts.  I couldn't figure out what bothered me about this one until I looked back through my photos........the jars are squared on the bottom instead of snowballing the bottom corners to give them more of a canning jar appearance.

 We all liked this cat quilt (purple!), but thought the cat looked a little unnatural.


I thought this quilt looked like a pac man maze quilt!  

 This was an interesting sampler quilt.

This was the quilt DD voted for............it brought back memories of the Land Before Time videos she watched when she was little.  Paige had watched them too, so they had fun recalling the names of all the dinosaurs.

DD also really liked this quilt (engineering major, go figure).  I guess I'm going to have to get more solid fabrics to make quilts with.

She didn't care for this one as much though.

The Missouri Star Cat Quilt pattern has made the rounds!

 This quilt was made from fabric selvages.


 There were some very intricate quilts too.  These reminded me of the one Carrie from my guild made as a wedding quilt.

 This was Paige's choice.  It had a Halloween feel and used Edgar Allen Poe fabric.  I liked it too.

This Halloween quilt made me think of Gina from my guild.  She is partial to Halloween quilts.

I really liked this Thanksgiving quilt.  We don't see many Thanksgiving quilts.  I have started a Thanksgiving table runner.

 I loved these snowmen wall hangings.

 Another fun Christmas quilt!

 This fabric line is called Town Square and the pattern is from the Doug Lekko book by the same name.  I made this quilt with a fall themed panel and fabric.
Here is another from the same book and fabric line.

And more Christmas quilts............


 12 Days of Christmas!


 Their guild challenge was flags.  There were several quilts, but this might have been my favorite.

They also did a display of quilts from the founding members of the guild.  This Log Cabin was my favorite.  The planning that went into the fabric placement was amazing.
The variety of quilts was truly amazing.  
Christi

2 comments: