About Me

My photo
I live in Mid Missouri on a farm with my husband and daughter.

Monday, October 23, 2017

Birthday Weekend!

So, Friday I headed north, stopped in Bethany and met my parents and we went to Jefferson, IA to see my nephew's last football game of the season.
(pix of me and Carter)
We also celebrated his 16th birthday.  For breakfast on Saturday morning, we had 2 LARGE
donuts from Bunker's Dunkers (best donuts ever!).  I've never put birthday candles on a donut before!  Carter's birthday was Sunday, and my mom's is today, so they celebrated together.


A 16-year-old football player can put away most of a large donut in very little time!


I slept in the spare room under this quilt..........the first quilt I ever made!


I bought all the fabric at Farmer Fabrics in Bosworth and did a log cabin, quilt in a day pattern for my sister.  

My mom hand quilted it.  My mother-in-law was big into prairie points, so I tried those out as well.  This quilt is between 20-25 years old!

Traveling up on Friday, we stopped at a Joann's in DesMoines and picked up some quilt batting and thread, using our 60% off coupons.  Then we drove through Adele and stopped at the Adele quilt shop which was in a cute little house.  It was a small shop, but very nice.  The leaves were turning and falling, and there were 4 big bags of leaves already raked up, but millions more to rake in the yard.  Once we got to Jefferson, we stopped at The Stitch.  (I should preface this whole trip story by stating that this was the first time I had been out of the state, other than a couple of trips to IKEA in at least 3 years, the last time I had been to Jefferson - to see a baseball game, and The Stitch was getting ready to undergo an addition then!).  I really wanted to see their new addition.  It was really nice.  And for such a small shop, the fabric selection is amazing!  I was focused on oranges this weekend!




On the way home on Saturday, my mom suggested going through Winterset and Dad was already planning on it.  Guess what?!  There is a really nice quilt shop on the square in Winterset, and a Ben Franklin on the same block!  AND, there was a shop hop going on, so we got homemade cookies AND the leaf block pattern they were giving to shop hoppers!  The town of Winterset is such a pretty little town.  Of course, it is the birthplace of John Wayne, had a John Wayne museum, and the Iowa Quilt museum!  AND it's the home of the covered bridges........Bridges of Madison County!


We saw one bridge on our way out of the county.  

The whole area was beautiful.  The leaves were turning and it was gorgeous.  Here are some cute pumpkins I saw outside of one of the shops on the square in Winterset.



Then after a quick, late lunch with Mom and Dad, I headed south.  I stopped at Jamesport at the Amish bulk foods store for a few things.  There was a line for the restroom, so I thought that meant I should probably walk over to the fabric barn instead of wasting my time waiting in a line!  It was perfect.  When I got back, there was no line!  So, for 6 opportunities to purchase fabric, what do you think I came home with.............?




Some orange fat quarters! (And 12 yards of batting from Joanns.)

Sunday afternoon was devoted to cleaning the sewing room.  The lady bugs/Japanese beetles had found their way in to the upstairs, so some major vacuuming was needed.  I also decided to organize all the started projects into boxes/baskets, and get control of the sewing room.




It's been a long time since it's been this neat!  Cici was a little unsure of how to hop on to and off of the cutting table without at least 3 projects and piles of fabric on it.

And, there was a BIG FINISH last night...........

I finished the embroidery on the first of my barn quilt blocks!  There are 12 blocks and my plan was to do 1 a month.  However, I seem to be on the 1 a year plan since that's how long the first one took.  I need to get another one ready while the excitement of the finish is still fresh so that I can keep the momentum going.
Christi

1 comment: