About Me

My photo
I live in Mid Missouri on a farm with my husband and daughter.

Monday, May 29, 2017

Sewing Blind

It's been an interesting week.  Of course, I worked Monday and Tuesday, then had the day at home Wednesday.  By Wednesday evening, I was breaking out with red welts and swelling on my head, arms, face, ears, and the backs of my legs above the knee.  Imagine all the creases and crevices with red welts.  DD checked my armpit and told me not to even think about shaving for a few days.  By Thursday morning, after a miserable night in which I took Benedryl, and went to bed with ice packs on my ears, my left eye was mostly swollen closed and my right eye was partially closed and my ears were huge and couldn't possibly swell anymore and everything itched, but it all hurt too much to scratch very well.  It was definitely time to see the doctor.  Fortunately DD was available to drive me since I couldn't get my eyes open far enough for contacts and my ears were too swollen to get the glasses over them.


Of course, the doctor had to try to figure out what had caused such an allergic reaction.  I had a similar one 9-10 years ago after eating chex mix my mother-in-law had made.  She puts lots and lots of mixed nuts in, and while I didn't eat the nuts, there must have been enough oil to cause that reaction.  I have also had mild skin reactions to strawberry plants and tomato plants and weeds before.  The only thing I could think of was that Wednesday afternoon I had been in the garden for a little while.  DH had tilled it, and I cut the lettuce and looked everything over. I had also helped DD feed her kittens.  I was outside for less than an hour.  Anyway, I got a shot (in the arm, since I was already sitting on lots of welts) and a powerful steroid, anti-itch pills (which I'm sure work because how can you itch when you are sound asleep?), and a cream.  The doctor also told me to stay inside in the cool, dry, dark for a few days - sounds like I need to be in the root cellar, right?  I mean, I know I looked bad, (Note the lack of photos of the event) but I didn't think I should be stuck in a root cellar.  I tried to get to him to write me a prescription that said I shouldn't go back to the garden at all this summer, but that didn't fly.

So, I now suddenly had lots of time at home (in between the numerous naps) to spend sewing, reading, or watching TV.  Unfortunately, I couldn't see very well.  I did do some sewing Thursday afternoon and put the borders on Scrap Basket Blues.

I will piece a Franken-batt tomorrow and trim some backing fabric so that it can go to the quilter.  A friend who helps David is getting married in June, so this will be the wedding gift.....OLD fabric scraps made into a NEW quilt from a pattern in a book I BORROWED from a friend, and obviously, it's BLUE!  Old, New, Borrowed, and Blue!  Not bad for sewing blind.  
I also worked on a basket which went to my quilt friend Gina for her birthday.  
We had lunch at Mazzios on Sunday to celebrate with her!

By Friday morning the swelling was much better.  I could open both eyes and it looked like my ears might be almost normal.  I was still taking frequent naps.  AND, I did read a whole book that day.  The most important part of Friday was that DH got finished planting (the first go round, may have to replant some bottom ground that got flooded).  He was working 10 miles south of town and asked DD if she could feed his new little pigs at lunch time that day so he wouldn't have to stop and drive all the way back home to feed. Well, I knew that she had finally gotten a lunch plan with her best buds from high school for that day, AND, she had taken me to the doctor and gotten all my meds the previous day, so I volunteered to feed the pigs at lunch time.  (pretty sure this violated the cool, dry, dark, inside requirement the doctor had given me)  I did drive to both locations so that I wouldn't be exposed to any weeds by walking.  

I was to roll the feed cart down the aisle and put a scoop of feed on each of the mats in the pens.  Now, there are these wonderful feeders in each pen that have food available 24/7, but DH wants to make sure they are eating when they are first weaned, so he goes through 5 times a day and throws a scoop of feed on a mat to entice them to eat..............maybe it was the drugs talking, but I felt like this was sort of like chumming the waters to get the sharks to come take a big bite!  These pigs were much too cute to be compared to sharks though.


Now, I know the expression "sleeping like the dead", and I am sure that it applies to little pigs.  They can sleep so hard you think they are dead. They love to sleep on the mats, and there was one group that when I came by with my scoop of feed, they all jumped up except one and he just fell over on his side still asleep.  Apparently he had been sleeping sandwiched in between the others and just didn't wake up when they all moved.  I did check to make sure he was breathing before I dropped the feed on the mat for the others to come eat.  He finally roused and joined in. 

 This was in the research barn.  I fed 1200 cute little pigs, but had to be careful to put the correct feed in each pen.  DH had my cart divided and color coded to match the colors on the feeders so they would all get the correct feed.  I never could figure out which color feed it was, but one of them smelled wonderfully sweet and delicious.  Not sure if it really smelled that way, or if it was the meds I was on which they said would make me hungry, or maybe it was just that it was lunch time, but the temptation to taste it was there.  I refrained.  I just couldn't imagine telling the doctor that I was pretty sure it was the pig feed I tasted that might have caused the next allergic reaction.  We'll never know if the feed tasted as good as it smelled that day or not.  

Because I could see better, I did some cutting and sewing.  I cut a bunch of green/neutral triangles to make half square triangles for a project.  I think I need something like 388 of them.  Not sure if I have enough cut yet, but they are working nicely as leaders/enders.

I also worked on my scrappy stars made from Civil War fabrics and the little 9-patches from our guild swap last year.  I have about half of them complete now.

Earlier in the week, DD dropped by the community center with her kittens to show.  We also house the Nicholas-Beazley Aviation Museum, so the kittens got to visit.
Here they are on the wing of a plane.  This was posted on the museum facebook page with the following...........
Are those cats?!  You've got to be "kitten" me!!  We had some special guests who wanted to test the strength of the NB-3 wing.  Thanks for stopping by our "mew"-seum!!

A couple also visited the propeller shop...........

We have come to the conclusion that any facebook post with a cute animal in it will get more attention than other posts.  So check out the Nicholas-Beazley Aviation Museum facebook page or stop by the museum and see everything in person.  The museum is open Tuesday-Saturday, 10-4.  And next Sunday, June 4th, there is a pancake breakfast featuring Chris Cakes from 7 AM - 1 PM with special museum tour rates!  

Christi

No comments:

Post a Comment