About Me

My photo
I live in Mid Missouri on a farm with my husband and daughter.

Monday, June 5, 2017

Fleas!

No, Cici doesn't have fleas, although she has been out of sorts for a while now.  She hasn't been eating like normal and really hasn't been around to "help (bother)" me when I'm working.  I think she liked being an "only child", and now that DD is home, it's put some stress on her.  I was very happy (can't believe I'm saying this) when she joined me in the middle of the night  to purr next to me the last 2 nights.  I think maybe she is starting to get back to her old self.  
This is her place - the window seat in the dining room!  She loves looking out at everything and is always there watching for us when we come home.


This could also be part of her problem..............the Magnificent Seven have been spending a lot of time with DD in the house.  Trust me, they play just as hard as they sleep!

We picked the tail end of the neighbors cherries while they were out of town last week and took a family photo/selfie right before we dug into the Cherry Varenyky (recipe from the Ukraine - thanks Yuliya!).  Mine weren't quite as good as the ones she made when she was here.
We also picked our first black raspberries.............

Not a huge crop yet, but so delicious!  We started picking our cherries yesterday and got enough for 3 pies.  I've also picked the first handful of peas from the garden.  I might be shelling peas by the weekend!

Memorial Day was spent with a trip to Kansas City to Ikea.  DD had never been and wanted a desk for her room so that she could study there this summer.  Unfortunately, the one she liked was out of stock (granted there were 5 on display and we offered to purchase one of those, but they apparently didn't want to make a sale that badly).  And, now that her online calculus 2 class has started, I am so ready for her to study in her room rather than at the kitchen island where I am cooking.  Why calculus homework must be done aloud is beyond me.  Remember when the popular fad was for kids to mimic gagging by pointing their index finger in their mouth towards their throat?  That's what I feel like doing!  Hopefully, the desk will be in stock soon.

We also stopped at Duluth Trading Company, another place DD had never been.  She had her father pick out his father's day gift............a seat cover for the passenger seat in his truck for Kinze to sit on.  I told her she couldn't put it in until she had cleaned the truck, which she did this past Saturday.  I have not seen it that clean since it was new!  

DD found something at Duluth that she wanted as well.............cargo bib overalls!  She thought these would be better for her than cargo pants since she has trouble keeping those up when she fills up all the pockets.  Overalls would just hang on her shoulders and it wouldn't be a problem!  She figured she could probably match her weight with items in all the pockets on cargo overalls!  We didn't buy them since they were pricey, but she does have a birthday coming up in August, so maybe.  If she wore them at college, she might not even need to carry a backpack!

Then, we stopped at the Brass Armadillo Antique Mall along I-70 on the way home.  Of course, DD thought this was a terrible idea, but went in anyway and had an absolutely delightful time.  She found vintage Power Ranger toys!  It was definitely a treasure trove of items.  We spent a little over an hour wandering the aisles.
 I took photos of things that caught my eye.........cheaper than buying!  This was the first sewing machine I saw, a White Rotary Treadle machine.........only $100!  I definitely don't want a treadle..........no need to take the joy out of sewing by adding exercise!

 I thought this yellow stand mixer was cute!

 It was the cabinet on this one that caught my eye.  And obviously this booth owner thought drinking should be part of the sewing experience!  The chair came with it.

 Phones in every color..............

I should note here, that I did email several photos to my friend Gina for identification.  Her hubby responded quickly, and then Gina added her own thoughts on the machines.

 This is a Singer 66 Redeye............  only $89.

 There was a beautiful Singer Featherweight, with the case (really good condition).  It said it was serviced and ready to go..........

It was obviously valuable as it was being guarded by this guy in a booth right across the aisle!  It didn't seem to matter where I moved around in the booth, he was always watching me!


 Again, the cabinet was the eye catcher for me on this one.........A Singer class 15, similar to my 15-91 with an external motor, only $59!  Dennis said the cabinet was definitely worth the money on this one!

 This Singer model 15 looked to be missing some parts and needing lots of love.

 I had to wax nostalgic over these Fisher Price toys that we had as kids!

 Another oldie that was so buried, I didn't get a very good photo.

 Another old telly.........

 DD thought she could fit in this wash tub.  I kept her from actually trying it out!

 We think this might be a New Home with a removable cover called a coffin top.  It was missing the shuttle bobbin, but had a leaf spring tension device.  This one would be very old.  It was in an almost empty booth with the next machine and didn't have any label.  I don't know if it was being moved in or out.


 It's neighbor had a tag!

A couple of my favorite book series when I was growing up.............

 This is either a 66 or 99.  It came with the cabinet, chair, and everything for $199.  I loved the faceplate on it.


Some more telephones.............  When I pointed out the round one in the corner to DD, she commented on the round numbers on the one below it..........."How does that work?"  Can you imagine!  She didn't know about a dial telephone.  So then, I was explaining that the first cell phones were bag phones and she said, "Oh, I know about those, they told us about those in history class in high school!"

 The Hubs and DD liked the stuff in this booth.
We are definitely going back there.  It's sort of like visiting a museum.  You never know what you'll discover!

That trip was so fun, I talked the hubs in to going to the outdoor flea market at the Midway exit on Saturday.  They have a big indoor flea market as well.  
We didn't find much out side that was too exciting, and the hubs was worried that some of the stuff would come with actual fleas.  I did get this photo of an idea of something for him to make.

There were many interesting things inside.  I didn't even cover the entire place.

 Another old phone......

 I loved this Holly Hobby sewing machine..........see how cute and little it is!  Only $12!

 More sewing machines............

 Florence (above) looked to be in beautiful condition!




 Love the Honeymoon Machine!
 Very interesting cabinet on this one.............

Here is my BIG purchase of the day............2 old mismatched drawers!  These are going to be made into a cat structure for Cici to play in.  She has already been climbing in and out of them.
And, over 300 yo-yo's!  I thought this was a great purchase until I opened the bags at home........the person who made these must have smoked or lived with someone who did.  So, the yo-yos are spending a few days sitting in a dish pan outside.  Periodically, they get stirred and fabreezed!  Hopefully, they will be usable in a few days.
Has any sewing occurred this week????  YES!  I started a new project and here are some of the parts and pieces.
 I'm still working on the green/neutral half square triangles as well.  If I counted correctly last night, I need to cut about 60 more for this project.  
And, I made a resolution to spend the first 10 minutes of sewing time every day working on the UFO that I hate!  This lasted for one day.  Our guild UFO projects are due at the November meeting.  I've decided that if mine isn't done by then, I will take it to the meeting anyway and put it in the guild garage sale we are having that month.  One way or another, I am going to be done with it!

Sorry for the length and over abundance of photos on this one, but I figure taking pictures and sharing them this way is better than purchasing all the things I saw!

Christi

No comments:

Post a Comment