About Me

My photo
I live in Mid Missouri on a farm with my husband and daughter.

Monday, April 10, 2017

Thoughts from the Sewing Room

I spent some time in the sewing room this week.  The Hubs fixed the table we purchased at the flea market so that Tucker fits into it.
This is a great table, lots of room to spread stuff out.  And if I need to, I can lift Tucker out, replace the board and have a large surface to cut on.  As you can see Tucker is working on my little red nine patches.  I would really like to get these rows sewn together.  However, you can't tell it from this photo, but I will have to re-thread Tucker since the thread somehow has been chewed in half!  Don't know who could be responsible for that.
I didn't even MAKE her sit in the corner............she just KNOWS!

While I work in the sewing room, I usually have some sort of music playing.  I really like Pandora and have several different stations I listen to.  One of my favorites is the Peter, Paul, and Mary station.  I know, I'm not really old enough to have listened to this music, but somehow, I know all the words to songs like "If I had a Hammer", "Where have all the Flowers Gone?", and of course, "Puff, the Magic Dragon".  I remember car trips when I was growing up and to pass the time, the whole family had to sing songs (this was before all the amazing handheld devices, etc. that we have now).  We sang these songs.  It got me to wondering about my parents, were they hippies?  That's what I think of when I listen to Peter, Paul, and Mary.  I've decided they probably weren't hippies, but since these songs had several verses, they lasted longer and kept us entertained longer.  It's sort of like when they took us mushroom hunting...........we didn't park right up next to the brush and trees, we had to walk from the house, or road, through a field (picking up "interesting" rocks - which I now realize was a way to get the rocks out of the field), and this kept us out longer, gave us more exercise, so we would get tired and go to bed earlier............think Tom Sawyer and that fence that needed white washing here!  They never got weeding the garden past me like this though, that was NEVER fun.

Anyway, here is one of the projects I did this week, hot pads!  This fabric was stashed at the bottom of my basket of scraps that needed to be cut up and stored in the appropriate bins.
AND, the scrap basket is finally TOTALLY empty................almost

Isn't she cute!  Almost makes you forget about that chewed up thread dangling on the sewing machine!

Lucy got to work on my April scrap basket challenge of blues!  This is a newly started project, not on my list of UFO's.

And the Viking, now to be known as Lady Viola has been working on my main UFO project, a paper pieced project that has been around for a few years.  It MIGHT get finished, or I might just call the project over on account of inclement weather or something, and put together the blocks that are finished and trash the rest if I get too tired of it.  It's time for this one to go.  Cici, unfortunately, loves the sound of the papers rustling and literally goes crazy when I work on it.  This will be my last ever paper pieced project.
You can see the blocks on the upper left of the design wall.  All of the fabrics have small pin dots in them.  I was also experimenting with some bears paw blocks, and then I have a few of the blue blocks done and wanted to look at them.  Is there something odd going on here?  19 of the UFO blocks, 3 bears paw blocks, and 5 (one is on the floor) of the blue star blocks???  Obviously, not a lot of planning is going on for me to keep coming up with odd numbers of blocks finished.  There will be 20 of the blue star blocks when that one is done, and I'm still experimenting with the bears paws, so have no idea what the final outcome will be on that one and the UFO will have as many blocks as I have paper foundations (or when I just decide to quit).  

It is nice to have all 3 machines set up in nice tables, so that I can move from one project to another when I get tired of working on something.  

Can't wait for our quilt guild meeting tomorrow night.  We'll be working on our quilts of valor projects.  My mom is coming down to go with me.  She wants to see all of the March Mystery Madness quilts.  I'm thinking there will be lots of pictures!
Christi

No comments:

Post a Comment