About Me

My photo
I live in Mid Missouri on a farm with my husband and daughter.

Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Another new family member!!

We made another trip to Rolla to visit DD on Saturday.  It was Homecoming and Parent Weekend all wrapped into one.  We didn't get a very early start since DH had to load a semi of pigs and I had to take care of the neighbor's rabbits before we could leave, so we missed the parade.  We did catch part of the game and the half time show.  It was a beautiful day, almost too hot to be sitting there in the sun!  


The marching band performed a medley of music from the Avengers, Iron Man, and Captain America movies.  Here they are in the formation of Thor's hammer.

The Gold Diggers (yes, that's really what they call them) had to do high kicks each time the Miners scored.  They had to do one for each point.  We saw them get to 37 before we left.

We purchased DD the new St. Pats sweatshirt.  Apparently St. Pats is a much bigger deal than homecoming and owning a St. Pats sweatshirt is a great tradition.  They have a big parade and literally paint the streets green.

On the way down, I finally got to stop at the 2 antique stores I had been wanting to visit.  The first one was somewhere between Jeff City and Vienna.  It was very clean and neat and had some interesting stuff.  The second one was on the north edge of Vienna.  You couldn't really see it from the road because of all the brush and weeds.  When we pulled in, we didn't really know where to enter.  There was a car parked and a van with a door hanging open, a barn that had stuff literally spilling out of it, an old log cabin with stuff piled on the front porch, and a house that we assumed someone lived in.  Fortunately the owner came out of the house to greet us.  We started in the barn, and it was pile floor to ceiling, wall to wall, with only a little path to squeeze through.  It was full of interesting stuff.  The owner asked us if we were looking for anything in particular, and we weren't, but I asked if he had any sewing machines.  He showed me one, a treadle, which I never would have noticed because it was covered with stuff.  Then he led me back into the stacks of stuff and I had to lean over a pile of windows while he held a coat out of the way and DH used his cell phone flashlight to see another treadle.  I asked if he had any that I wouldn't have to exercise to use and he said sure and led us out of the barn through an overgrown path to a house (we hadn't noticed the house before as it was behind the cabin).  It was piled full as well with just a little path through and he had 2 machines there.  The first one turned out to be a 301 and the second was a Singer 15 series.  The 15 was black with all the gold decals and everything on it and he had a hefty price on it.  The 301 was mocha-colored and he didn't have a big price on it.  I asked if it worked.  And he said he would "find" an out let and we could see.  So we carried it back through the weeds to the barn and he moved some stuff around so we could plug it in and it worked.  I bought it.  It had the original manual, case, and a box of attachments.  It was so exciting!  Since all old machines need to have a name, I told DH we should start thinking of one while we were driving.  He came up with Tucker since the owner's email address was tuckeredpuppy and the machine was tan like my sister's golden doodle, Tucker.  I said that I thought most sewing machines had girl names, but he didn't care.

So meet Tucker, the newest (old) machine in the sewing room (well, he hasn't really made it to the sewing room yet as he's been hanging out on the dining room table).  I cleaned him up and he sews like a dream.  I had the experts, Dennis and Gina, stop by to check him out and they said he was definitely a great deal!  

I can't wait to go back to Rolla and visit that place again, but I'm going to make sure I'm up to date on my tetanus shot first.

Christi

No comments:

Post a Comment