About Me

My photo
I live in Mid Missouri on a farm with my husband and daughter.

Sunday, April 19, 2020

Dishwasher Dilemma



So, one afternoon a couple of weeks ago my sister from Iowa called The Hubs and asked what he was doing.  His response, "I'm sitting on the floor watching the dishwasher run." which was literally the truth.  At which point, she knew he was REALLY BORED!  However, the dishwasher hadn't been getting dishes clean, so he was trying several things to figure out what was wrong.


And sometimes you get tired while watching the dishwasher run and need to lay down!


A part was ordered and installed.  While waiting for the part, we had to wash dishes by hand.  Now, I have no problem doing dishes by hand, but for The Hubs and DD, this was a catastrophe!  Whenever we would have a meal where we set out all the leftovers and you pick what you want, they would leave just a little bit in each container to put back in the frig.  I finally realized that they left just a little bit, so the container wouldn't be empty and have to be WASHED BY HAND!  DD even went to the basement and found the assortment of leftover paper plates...........you know, Halloween ones, birthday ones, etc.  Can I just take a moment to say that one of the things we are supposed to be doing during this "Stay At Home" thing is washing our hands.  What better way than to wash dishes by hand!  Neither of my grandmothers had dishwashers (other than the grandkids, of course) and I can remember doing lots of dishes by hand at family dinners.  Both had small kitchens, but one had a great big long counter to put clean dishes on and the other had no counter space at all.  Most of her dishes were stored in the limited cabinet space or in cupboards on the enclosed back porch.  I reflected on those family dinners (fried chicken, mashed potatoes, gravy, pie) while washing my dishes by hand.

And in the meantime, the frig had a little problem as well...........

This was fixed by The Hubs.


Notice how that yellow LED light makes it into every photo!


He even gave it a follow up check days later to make sure everything was still working correctly!

Now, back to the dishwasher.  The first part didn't work, so a second part was ordered.


And when that didn't work, the dishwasher was loaded up and taken to the appliance store to be worked on.


This provided the opportunity to clean the cubby where it had been.  And finally...........


A new dishwasher was delivered!  The other one was over 14 years old, and the parts needed were no longer available.  DD is enamored by the third drawer for laying the silverware in.  She loves organizing it all.  The Hubs is enjoying it as well.  We've had it a week, and I can honestly say that I have yet to load or unload it, put any soap in it, or push any buttons on it.  I'm sure my turn will come when the "new" wears off, but so far, I'm enjoying letting them play with it!  DD and The Hubs have even had some disagreements about the best placement for things in the dishwasher.  DD wants all the silverware and everything organized in it, and normally The Hubs and I would roll our eyes behind her back and think that as soon as she leaves, we'll do it any way we want.  But since her start date for her job has now been postponed until October, she's probably going to have us trained to do it her way by that time.  Maybe you can teach old dogs new tricks!
Christi

1 comment:

  1. So I guess the virus hit two of your appliances! It hit our big TV hard. It just died. So a new, even bigger one is on the way, hopefully soon. We are using Bekah's "baby-size TV". An unsatisfying experience. I have concluded that we are tv snobs.

    ReplyDelete