About Me

My photo
I live in Mid Missouri on a farm with my husband and daughter.

Saturday, September 23, 2017

Oh my SQUASH!!!

(This was written on Thursday, but somehow didn't get posted until this morning - Saturday.)

The Hubs planted our garden this year.  He asked about a few things I wanted and then just went to it.  I didn't realize he was planting Butternut Squash.  I don't like them, but he does.  I don't mind fixing one occasionally, but they are so difficult to cut up.




Of all the things for the garden to produce in abundance, it was the butternut squash.  We predict there are at least 100 out there.  He just keeps saying, "I only planted 6 seeds!"  Here is the wheelbarrow load I picked last week and brought up to the deck to wash off.  Now, I try to carry a handful to the basement every time I step outside.  

Here are the ones that are stored in the basement.  And, I've given about 25 away, and there are still more out there to find.  I really don't want to leave any out there to reseed for next year.  

So, since I have so many, I am trying something different each time I fix them.  The first time, I cut it up and baked it with cinnamon, sugar, and butter.  Then, I baked one in the rind and scooped out the chunks and fried it in butter, cinnamon, and sugar.  Then, I baked one in the rind, scooped it out - it was the consistency of baby food.  I added pumpkin pie spice, maple syrup, and some corn starch to thicken it up and put it back in the oven to bake.  The hubs loved it, said it tasted like pumpkin pie.  So, yesterday, I baked 2 more squash and scooped it out, blended it up and put it in the freezer in pie-sized amounts..........we'll have "like pumpkin pie".  I got enough for 4 pies from 2 squash.  So, I've cooked 5, given about 25 away............only 70 to go!  Please send any ideas my way.  With this many, I can definitely experiment.

At quilt guild, one of our members, Carrie, shared this beautiful quilt she had been making for a wedding.  

And she machine quilted it herself.............the back is gorgeous too!

My piano lessons have started back up.  I have 9 students on Wednesdays.  One of my new students, Melanie, likes to quilt with her grandmother.  She made pillows for her mom and dad for their birthdays.

We visited DD in Rolla last Sunday.  We went to church with her since she was playing in the bell choir, took her and her roomie out to lunch and to Walmart, visited a little and then headed back.  She has had a big week of tests, so we didn't stay around too long.  She is coming home this weekend, mostly to see her kittens because she thinks they are getting rather large.  This was the photo I sent her this morning.  

My sewing room time this week was limited to making one more blouse for DD to wear with her interview suit.  I also did some cleaning out and reorganizing.  I have the blocks for a charity quilt laid out on the floor.  I'm going to try webbing them together.
Christi





No comments:

Post a Comment