About Me

My photo
I live in Mid Missouri on a farm with my husband and daughter.

Wednesday, January 20, 2021

Mini Vacation Part 1!

 When the last of the pigs left the farm on January 7th, I told The Hubs it was time for a vacation!  We left in the dark of the morning on January 8th and headed north.  I plugged our ultimate destination in the car GPS and then told google to "show quilt shops along the way"!  What an incredible way to use Google!


The first stop was B&B Creations in the tiny town of Tracy, IA.  It was a tiny town, and Google took us over some gravel roads (actually there wasn't much gravel, it was more like well-packed mud) to get there.  The place looked interesting? (not quite sure what word to use here).  


The door opened to reveal this, which put my mind at ease...........


There were lots of bolts of fabrics, none of which were brand new, but still a variety of good quality fabrics at very reasonable prices (we did discover that fabric prices increased the further north we traveled).  There was an old gentleman with a cane there and he was particularly taken with The Hubs and talked so much it was difficult to get a way.  I think his wife had owned the quilt shop and had passed away so he and his daughter ran it.  He assured me that he could cut and measure fabric.  I did make a small purchase of a panel I liked that will be a gift for someone.

Just up the road from Tracy was Pella, IA where we stopped at a DQ for a quick lunch.  We were pleased to be able to actually go inside and sit down to eat there.

And then we went to the center of town to find The Quilted Windmill.  I really enjoyed this shop.  I made several purchases for things I wanted needed!  Christmas was marked down and lots of flannels were on display.


And I love this display of Kim Diehl fabrics and quilts!  We talked to some interesting people there.  One couple was from northern Iowa and were heading to Missouri for a long weekend.  They gave us (mainly David) ideas for different museums to visit.

Then I walked The Hubs down the street to take a peek in the Jaarsma Bakery.  It smelled SO GOOD!





So after finding our way back to the car (we were still severely intoxicated from the bakery smells), I googled to find out where the Vermeer plant, museum, and visitors center was.  The Hubs was now fully vested in this vacation!


This was the really cute nativity display outside the building.  Unfortunately, it was closed to the public due to Covid, so we'll just have to go back.  The Quilted Windmill and Jaarsma Bakery definitely deserve another visit.  

Well, my support staff (Willow) just yawned, and snorted a little in her sleep.  So lest this post get too long and boring, I'll stop here for now and continue the trip into the next post.

Christi



No comments:

Post a Comment