About Me

My photo
I live in Mid Missouri on a farm with my husband and daughter.

Friday, October 30, 2020

Updates...........including quilting!

Yes, what would a Friday be without a football photo!  This is from last Friday night's win, when Jackson got back to the locker room after his trip to the ER.  He's the one in the stocking cap behind the banner with the sling.  To give you the update, he is having surgery today on his left collarbone.  I think he thinks he will be at the game tonight, but we'll see how that goes.  

And the older nephew is at UNI working on track and field (and some occasional studying!).  He is hoping to be a decathlete, so is learning to pole vault.  


 Sorry for the poor picture quality, but it is a screen shot from a video on his phone.  I think he's loving this new challenge.  

And speaking of challenges, we decided to pull up the carpet in the old part of my sewing room.  The plan was to clean up the hardwood underneath.  However, we didn't realize how damaged it was from the renovations a few years ago.  There were areas of paint, deep gouges, and the old floor wasn't totally flat!  Of course, this was done over a month ago, and then the hubs went to the field.



So this is what my sewing room looked like for awhile.  It didn't help that Sarah was moving and piling boxes and tubs in there as well that were going to St. Louis.



After Sarah went to St. Louis, I was able to get all this fabric stored in a dresser in her room.




We finally gave up on bringing the old floor back, and then the search began to find some flooring that would look good with what was already there.  Lowes and Menards had very little that we liked and none of it was in stock, so would have to be ordered and if we didn't like it, there was a 25% restocking fee.  



I finally went to Sutherlands and came home with 3 samples - large pieces!  We both immediately knew the one we liked and it was IN STOCK!


Isn't it pretty!





It is all done now except for some trim pieces we need to order.  My plan for today is to clean and start putting stuff back where I want it.  I don't think Cici is thrilled with this change.  She's a carpet cat.  And Willow can go sliding across it pretty easily.  But I love it.  No more hauling the vacuum up the stairs!

So, that is my excuse for not much sewing happening.  I did show a couple of completed quilts at our last guild meeting.


Above is my Dashing Through the Snow which was a quilt along last December through Temecula Quilt Company.  I made my churn dashes a little bigger, set them on point, and added the candy cane border to make it a nice sized throw.  

And below is my entry in our guild challenge project this year.



We were to create a quilted item to commemorate the 100 year anniversary of women getting the right to vote.  My entry was called Sarah's Choice.  All of the blocks are from the Vintage Farm Girl books and Vintage Christmas.  The colors of the suffragist movement were purple and gold and the flower was the sunflower.  The block on the truck door is called Sarah's Choice.  My daughter, Sarah, has the right to vote and to be anything she wants to be.  Her dad said she could have been a farmer, raised corn, and driven it to town in her own truck.  She instead chose to be an aerospace engineer.........go figure!  However, she has always talked about building (designing) her own house to live out in Wyoming, where there aren't many people, with one of every different animal..........pig, cow, horse, duck, etc.  We'll see if that ever happens.  Anyway, this was my entry.  I didn't win, but I really like my quilt.


And, I showed this set of placemats..........finally finished!  So, there are only 2 things left on my UFO list from last year.  I plan to get at least one more finished this year.  I think that's pretty good.  Of course, we won't talk about all the things that were started this year.  After all, I was going to need something to put on next year's UFO list, right?

Last Saturday, I attended Scrap Attack at Sew Sweet in Brunswick.  There were 9 of us there and we got to use the retreat room so were socially distanced.  It was sew much fun to be in a group of people sewing and chatting all day.  And, I wasn't looking at my own dismantled sewing room!  I worked on blocks for Star Junction, a quilt-along I'm doing with the Sew Sweet group that needs to be done sometime in November.  I have a ways to go, and am not enjoying the star blocks.  But, it WILL GET DONE!

One of the ladies showed this Bonnie Hunter quilt, which I loved.  I have the book this is in and am tempted.............!


I also did the cutting and sewing for the first 2 clues of the Morewood Mystery quilt I'm doing.  It had been going on for 2 months, and all I had done was select fabric.



And here are my completed components.  I'm looking forward to the next clue which comes out next week.

Sew, TWO blog posts in one week!  What is the world coming to!  Could it be the blue moon, the upcoming time change, Halloween?


Yes, a pumpkin was carved!  I was asked to carve one for the museum (actually 3, but only 1 got done).  This is the Nicholas-Beazley logo.

We will be spending Halloween in St. Louis.  We're planning to go see Sarah tomorrow and come back on Sunday.  She is taking us to the Science Center for Halloween.  Fun!

So Happy Halloween everyone!

Christi

No comments:

Post a Comment