About Me

My photo
I live in Mid Missouri on a farm with my husband and daughter.

Tuesday, May 1, 2018

Visit from Spain!

On Saturday, (after the late night return from the concert in Rolla), I headed to Bethany to visit my parents and their special guest - Merecedes!  She was our exchange student from Spain when my sister was in high school.  It had been 7 years since we had last seen her.

Mercedes is on the right and her sister, Ana, is in the middle.  Ana is a year younger and was an exchange student with a family in Iowa the year after Mercedes stayed with us.



Dad gave them a ride out to see the farm and cows.


She brought me the cutest dish towels that her mother had made.  Her mom does a perfect blanket stitch.  And some olive oil from Spain as well as other goodies to try in the kitchen!


She had not seen my parents' new house and loved my mom's sewing room.  Sunday morning, she skyped with her parents and showed her mom the sewing room!  When the storage cabinets of all the fabrics and quilts were opened, her mom's eyes grew large just looking at all that fabric.


We had a great time visiting and remembering all the things that happened when Mercedes lived with us.  It made me really homesick for Yuliya.  I think one of these days the hubs and I are going to have to make a trip across the Atlantic with stops in Spain and the Ukraine.

I left bright and early Sunday morning to head back to Marshall so I could be around to help the hubs moved equipment from field to field.  He is hoping to get done with the corn planting on Tuesday.  

I stopped at Cedar Lane Greenhouse on the way home.  I hadn't been there before, but it was an amazing greenhouse.  I bought some replacements for our flower bed and some flowers for my pots.  I spent Sunday afternoon potting everything and then planted the garden.  



I'm excited to see how this pistachio hydrangea turns out.  It's a new variety this year and they only got about 5 of these in.

DH had planted lettuce, spinach, and onions. He didn't really want me planting as he says I can't make a straight row to save my soul.  We have this little planter that marks the next row as you plant, but he even got sticks out and tied orange caution tape on them to mark the row for me.  I used his tape, but he should be thankful that I didn't follow the tape too closely because we'd have beautiful rainbow-arching rows due to the wind blowing the tape!

I planted 2 rows of beans, 2 of beets, cilantro, more spinach and lettuce, and 3.5 rows of peas.  I hurt so much today that I'm definitely not looking forward to picking things!  I also planted 2 hills of cucumbers, 1 of spaghetti squash, and 1 of butternut squash (like we need more of those!).  

My garden may be a scary place since, not only do I have caution tape in it, I planted dragon and snake gourds - really smart - I'll scare myself when I step on a "snake" gourd in the garden..........and some red warty pumpkins, giant pumpkins, wee pumpkins, and pie pumpkins.

Sweet corn will be planted in the field when DH finishes up on Tuesday and then it can RAIN on Wednesday!

As promised in the last blog, here are the 2 yellow/gold chickens I completed in April!

And here is the finished friendship quilt!  I did some work on the stains that were in the old blocks (1930's), and then washed it. I thought the stains were gone, but when I took it outside in the good light for this photo, I noticed there was still some stains around Mrs. Hartman's name.  I don't know who she was, but I'm sure she would want me to work on those stains.  I also saw a place in the upper right block that needs some repair.  


So, another "not quite finished quilt"!

Christi  






No comments:

Post a Comment