About Me

My photo
I live in Mid Missouri on a farm with my husband and daughter.

Monday, July 17, 2017

The Mighty Hunters!

So the interesting thing at our house this week is that the hubs is on a mole hunt!  Literally!  He and his trusty border collie, Kenze, have killed 3 moles in the yard and are on the hunt for the fourth one.  This is done by filling their burrow through the yard with water from the garden hose and waiting for the mole to pop up to keep from drowning.  Then, the border collie goes into action!  Apparently it's quite exciting and rewarding to catch a mole that has been burrowing all through the yard.  When we returned from church yesterday morning, DH headed to the yard.  I stepped out to see what was going on and he pointed to a new mole run that had happened while we were in church.  Unfortunately, this last mole is proving to be the intelligent one of the group and he managed to elude the mighty hunters.  Then when we were cooking lunch, DH looked out the kitchen window, dropped what he was doing, left the kitchen and returned with the shot gun.  Apparently we had a ground hog in the front yard and one of the cats was ready to do battle.  Not to worry, the Magnificent 7 were all in the front flower bed (apparently as the cheering section), and Owen, the one adult male cat was heading into battle.  Now, Owen is definitely not what I consider a ferocious hunter.  He's not overly large, has been "fixed", is very tame, purrs when you look at him and spends a good portion of every day lazing on the deck.  I don't really consider the hubs to be much of a ferocious hunter either.  (Early on in the marriage, he did go deer hunting with my family, but after about one hunting trip, has been satisfied just hanging out in the house.)  But here is the hubs, standing in the open front door of our living room with his shotgun aimed outside (notice the "inside" thing again) and poor Owen is advancing on the ground hog with the 2 female adult cats flanking him.  DH takes aim and his first shot goes just above ground hog's head.  The cats scatter, the ground hog heads to the corn field, and the Magnificent 7 cheer from the flower bed!  He takes another shot as the ground hog disappears into the corn but misses again.  Maybe this was God's way of reminding him that Sunday is the day of rest - no hunting - the mole and the ground hog got away!  Of course, then he starts searching the living room carpet for the empty shell casings........does this make us rednecks?!
Cici remained calm through it all. 



She has found a job as a basket tester.  


I made a couple of baskets for friends and she had to test them out.  Unfortunately, no amount of effort allowed her to fold herself into the little red basket.  It was fun to watch her try to figure it out though.

We had our Quilts of Valor presentation at our meeting this past week.  Six quilts were presented.  Each group displayed their quilt and then wrapped it around the recipient.  It was a wonderful presentation.


We also had great refreshments and then our usual business meeting followed by Show and Tell.
 This was Gina's quilt she made with the 4-patch units from out guild exchange last year.

 This was her "Kitchen Sink" quilt using all of the leftover blocks from other projects.  I have plans to make a kitchen sink quilt next year.

 Here is an En Provence quilt.  

Mine is back from the quilter and I need to get the binding on it.  The quilting on it is fabulous.  Still not sure I like the quilt though.

 Pam made this quilt as part of my March Mystery Madness.......and here are the leftovers on the back.
 She made another one to take with her on a trip to Germany to give to the family that is hosting her visit.

 Okay, can't remember who made this and they are hiding behind the quilt!


 Mary made this quilt with 9 patches and 4 patches..........
 and leftovers on the back!

 Then she showed this quilt made from striped fabric..........I worked on one of these this weekend and noticed a mistake when I went to take the photo, so the ripping is done, but the resewing isn't.  Hopefully it will be ready to photograph for next week's blog!
Here is the back of Mary's quilt!
 Mary made this quilt for her granddaughter Melanie.
 I'm thinking this will always be Melanie's quilt according to the back!



I liked this quilt because it is made from a pre-printed panel and was very unique!


On Saturday, we had our work day at Smith Chapel.  Gina finished this top.  Isn't it gorgeous!
I did some sewing this week as well.  I worked on my UFO that I hate, trying to get it finished for the November meeting.  It's getting smaller all the time.  As I find a block that needs to be ripped out, I just toss it on the floor to be picked up with the trash.  I have a pile here to press and trim.

And I started Bonnie Hunter's new Leader/Ender project.  It is a rail fence.  I'm using 2.5 inch strips since I had overflowing bins of them.  
It's not intended to be a Christmas quilt, but I had so many green and red strips that the color was determined by my scraps.  I'm hoping it will have a "woven" look to it.

And for 1 final photo..............
This is the world's tamest kitten.  I don't know how either it or DD will survive when she goes back to school.  He is obviously helping hold down the laundry that is waiting to be folded.  

Christi

No comments:

Post a Comment