About Me

My photo
I live in Mid Missouri on a farm with my husband and daughter.

Monday, February 20, 2017

President's Day - Still Monday!

Happy President's Day!  I almost forgot that it was still Monday and I needed to blog.  We just got back from a visit to my parents.  DH helped my dad with a few projects including trying to get his phone to work "hands free" in his new car.  Dad kept asking me why I wasn't answering my cell phone, and I never heard it ring, nor did it show any missed calls.  When we arrived home this afternoon, my home answering machine was full of waiting calls........all from Dad!  

Sunday afternoon, before we headed north, I attended the Marshall Philharmonic Orchestra Concert.  I took 3 of my MVC students with me (it was a class requirement), three gentlemen, 2 from Brazil and 1 from Bulgaria.  It was definitely a unique experience for all of us.  As we were stopped at a stoplight on the way to drop them back at campus, I was asked, "What does YIELD mean?"  This opened a discussion on driving rules and having a license (which none of them do even in their home country as it is so expensive).  I have now promised to stop by the license office and pick up driving rule manuals for them.  (What are piano teacher's for???)  I'm unsure as to whether they could get a license here, but I figure knowing the driving rules won't hurt them.  They did enjoy the concert too, but wanted to know if the orchestra ever played anything they might know.  I told them that would be the April concert.  When they asked if they could attend, I said sure and that I was in charge of the reception (the cookies and punch were also a big draw), so they've now decided they might get to take home the leftover cookies if they have to help me clean up.  We'll see if that happens!


I finished this quilt top and even have a pieced backing ready to go for it............

I'm going to call it "Country Roads, Take Me Home".  Yes, I like John Denver music.  I listen to the John Denver station on Pandora.  

My dad made me a new quilt rack.  DH got it hung when we got home.  
That's a quilt from my first quilting life........Farmer's Daughter.  It is hand quilted (thanks, Mom) and was made from friendship blocks when I was a member of the day guild.

While the guys were working on projects today, Mom and I did a little shopping.  We went to an Amish store and then to a little quilt shop on the square in Albany called Locklar's.  
Yes, I did some stash enhancement.  The 2 pieces in the middle are wide backings (108").  The one on top was only $8/yard, and the purple (selected for my En Provence quilt) was $8.50.  Great deals.  On the right are a couple other pieces I liked.  The top brown was $6.75/yard, so I got 2 yards, and the bottom piece was marked $4.95 a yard, so I told her I would take what was left on the bolt.  On the left are 3 fabrics I put together from my Mom's stash when I was helping her pick fabrics for a mystery quilt.  I told her I thought those would go well together.  She said she had too many projects started, so MADE me take them home.  

If you ever get to Albany, MO, stop by Locklar's on the square.  It's not a huge selection, but the fabric is nice and the prices are even better.  None of the wide backings were more than $9.50.  There was a shelf of batiks, some Downtown Abbey, and lots of other nice fabrics.  The lady who runs it, is very nice.  She has a bum knee (she told me) so doesn't get around very well.  She also does machine quilting there.

I also got to see Dad's cows and a new calf while I was home.  Another cow looked ready to have a calf really soon.  Dad says she sometimes has twins and then only claims one.  I'm so hoping for a bottle baby!  (No one else was sharing this sentiment.)  DH says I can't have any more pets.  I'm just supposed to enjoy these from my kitchen window.  They cross in front of our house every evening.  
Christi

No comments:

Post a Comment