About Me

My photo
I live in Mid Missouri on a farm with my husband and daughter.

Sunday, October 4, 2026

Kansas State Fair

 Let's travel back in time a little more and I'll show my pics from the Kansas State Fair.  We attended with our friends, one of whom is a vet who grew up in Kansas and has attended every year, several times volunteering in the veterinary building.  She has lots of traditional things she liked to do, so it was fun to share it with her.

The guys spent some time going through the machinery, while we visited the domestic arts building.  There was some really neat cross stitch.  I took a picture of this Harry Potter themed one.


And then there was quite a lot of quilting that was well displayed.  Only one was hanging upside down.  (I've quit putting quilts in the Missouri State Fair simply because of the lack of care they show for displaying things.)


I thought the wall hanging below was quite clever.


And this t-shirt quilt caught me attention with the way they did the shirts in a swirl.


And it had more on the back.  I didn't care for the quilting though.


Below is the grand champion and the next photo is the back of it.  It was quite something.



We also went into the 4-H building.  Wow!  Was it ever impressive.  I took several photos to show Sarah, so these will feature more of the "sciency" stuff.




Case after case of Legos............






And this charcuterie board.............had fishing lures in it!  Sent that to my brother-in-law who makes these.


The sewing/quilting/knit/crochet was also impressive.  I took pics of this crocheted costume of Toothless from How to Train your Dragon.............


and from the back............


It was a huge building and was totally full.  There were at least 1000 photos, over 50 bug boxes and even more rock boxes and it was all very well displayed.  Again, it made Missouri look sad.

We got into Kansas politics as there was a debate going on that had drawn quite a cheering/booing crowd.  It will be interesting to see how the election comes out.  

We visited the vet building which I thought would just be a building where you could ask questions of the vets volunteering to staff it, but it was actually a birthing center.  They had all sorts of animals and I got to see new born calves, lambs, and more.  They had seating where you could just sit and watch.  I could have spent the day in there.

Meet Rosie who I visited in the cattle barn twice and each time she was more than happy to suck on my fingers.  


We were also going to ride the Old Mill ride, a long-standing tradition of my friends.  It is a permanent fixture on the fairground since the 1950's.  We were in line, and just as we got up to the entrance, they closed it down because it had stopped and needed repaired.  So we missed that tradition.

It was a fun weekend in Kansas.  We checked out interesting restaurants, played cards, and visited a castle.  There is more to Kansas than I had thought.

Since my last post, I have returned to the sewing room.  I cleared away the 4 bags of t-shirts I have been given to make a quilt.  I rough cut them to get rid of the excess, and now have a much smaller pile of usable parts stored in the closet until I'm ready for a game of Tetris to see how to fit them together.  I also made the backing for Mom's Christmas quilt and hung that fabric up.  Then I opened one of the project boxes I had last worked on at the retreat before Labor Day and sat down and actually sewed quilt blocks!  It was such an amazing feeling.  I sewed 40 sets of 4 half square triangles.  They still have to be trimmed, but I have decided the fabric is so pretty that I want to sew an extra seam before trimming them to save the bonus triangles.  Anyway, it was a really good feeling.

Busy day at church today.............my bell choir is performing for the first time this season, we are on the hospitality team for greeting and ushering, and it is the church tailgate party, so I have food ready to take.  It is kind of fun to get to wear jeans and my Chief's shirt to church.  And of course, we'll watch the game this afternoon.  Chief's vs. Raiders, 2 unbeaten teams!  

Well, it's time to grab some breakfast and hit the shower to get the day started.

Christi


No comments:

Post a Comment