About Me

My photo
I live in Mid Missouri on a farm with my husband and daughter.

Thursday, September 10, 2026

Labor Day Weekend

 Our Labor Day weekend has historically been a family get together at my parents' house.  With Jackson's wedding the weekend before, we didn't do that this year.  This freed me up to attend the Sew Sweet Retreat at the Quilt Barn in Brunswick.

The night before I left, our ac quit during the heatwave.  I threw shorts and t-shirts into my suitcase on Thursday morning, packed my sewing stuff and headed for cooler temps in the quilt barn.  Well, the temps were much cooler there especially since I was sitting under an air vent.  I purchased a nice soft jacket from the quilt shop to wear most of the weekend.  My only other purchases were some quilt labels and a backing for this first top I finished putting together.


This is Cottage Twirl a pattern by Miriam at Stitch Obsessed.  I called the hubs Friday morning and had him measure some of my different pieces of fabric to see if I had something large enough for the backing and he finally said, "You're gonna have to buy some fabric!"  I did find a nice piece in the sale room, and I made the backing and binding for this quilt.

My next top finish was this long time UFO, Jelly Twist.  It had traveled to 3 previous quilt retreats and never made it out of the box.  I did have some fabric at home for the back (thanks to the hubby measuring fabric again), and the backing is made, it's even quilted, and the binding is to the hand binding stage.


And I got all the blocks made for Flower Toss.  I have to say that as I was making these somewhat tedious blocks, I was concerned about my choice of background fabric.  However, once I had all the blocks on the design wall, I did really like it.


I worked on some blocks for another quilt, but didn't get very far on that one.  I left a little early on Sunday so that I could get back and unload the car so that we could take Willow and Friday to the dog plunge at the pool.



This was Friday's first dog plunge.  Willow is a pro though.  She would swim and her hair would float about her like a mermaid.  Friday, not having the amazing webbed paws that Willow has, was not as great a swimmer.  He didn't like the fountains that were spraying water.  He also didn't care for all those other dogs around and stayed pretty close to Willow.  As it was another extremely hot day, we all enjoyed the water.




Honestly, Friday's favorite thing was sitting on the lounge chair.


Well things have cooled down a little and we are getting some much needed rain today.  Piano lessons have begun, and yes, at least 5 of them have already had to be rescheduled.  And the first 2 yesterday came without their books.  Five more today, so we'll see how it goes.  

The hubs has all the equipment ready to go to the field.  It will probably be the latter half of next week before he starts.

We're supposed to be at the Kansas State Fair on Saturday.  Hoping for dry cooler temps, but I don't know if that will happen.  

TTFN,
Christi




No comments:

Post a Comment