About Me

My photo
I live in Mid Missouri on a farm with my husband and daughter.

Monday, August 7, 2017

Happy Birthday!

You know you are getting older when your baby turns 20!!!!

Isn't she cute...............
And here she is on her birthday, modeling her new cargo overalls!  Not the same cute little girl in the sweet little dresses.

We celebrated in style.............all weekend long.  Friday, we went shopping in Columbia (tax free weekend), and she ended up with a wireless printer for her dorm room (almost free since it came with my new laptop), rain boots, shorts, jeans, and then we met David's family at Olive Garden for supper where she picked up books, a ps4 game, and a watch.  On Saturday, her actual birthday, we had planned to go to the zoo - her choice, but with the rain in the forecast, decided to just meet my parents at Crown Center at Fritz's train restaurant for lunch.  Her surprise was her cousin Jackson showing up.  She is now the official shortest grandkid on my side - and the only girl!

 Everyone had fun phoning in their order and waiting for the little train to deliver it.  Then they got birthday sundaes!

 When we got done at the restaurant, we decided the weather had cleared enough to go to the zoo.  We later discovered we were wrong, but we braved the downpours and saw as many animals as we could.




I so want one of these red pandas.  He was adorable.  We watched him for quite a while and I did commentary as he briefly woke up, stretched, and then went back to napping.

On Sunday evening, our neighbors came for supper and we did the cake/candles thing.  Kim will be 26 later this week, so we celebrated both birthdays.  Notice the cake has sprinkles on one side, but not the other.  They both wanted a confetti cake, but one wanted sprinkles in the frosting and one didn't.

What fun!!

And, of course, there are more quilts to show.  Since it was DD's birthday, I'm featuring her quilts this time.
This was made by my aunt Carol Ann.  She had an embroidery machine.

 This was pieced/appliqued by Joyce Nichols and hand quilted by my mom.



 This was made by David's Grandma, Lucille Wade.  She passed away before Sarah was born, but had a left a pink quilt for David's baby.
 This was appliqued by Joyce Nichols and hand quilted by my mom.


 This was made by David's Aunt Whiz.


And this top was pieced by the day quilt guild as I was a member of the day guild then.  I started hand quilting it, but my mom took it home to finish because I just wasn't getting it done fast enough for her.  These last 2 quilts were well-used by DD and were still in her closet.  I now have all of her baby quilts stored together.
This Sunbonnet Sue was cross stitched by David's mom and she had someone hand quilt it.

This one was made by Lucille Wade for Sarah as well.  It is hand quilted.  
 Sarah made this rag quilt as a 4-H project.  John Deere flannel on one side and denim on the other.



My mom made this t-shirt quilt for DD from her grade school t-shirts.  She hasn't relinquished the ones from middle school or high school yet.
 This block was from a t-shirt she got on our trip to DeSmet, SD - Laura Ingalls Wilder country.  When the quilt was outside in the sun for the picture, it was very colorful.  When I took it back inside, the color faded (below).  This was such a fun t-shirt for a little girl to wear to see the colors change!

Here is the cat quilt I made for DD.  It has cat faces, paws, and silhouettes in it.  
And this is her high school graduation quilt.  I pieced it and my mom hand quilted it.  It has fabrics from my parents' Alaska trip.  The dark colors, bears, moose, etc somehow seem more appropriate to Sarah now than all the cute pink dolls.

I think she had a pretty good 20th birthday!

Christi


No comments:

Post a Comment