About Me

My photo
I live in Mid Missouri on a farm with my husband and daughter.

Monday, January 30, 2017

Be it Resolved............

It's still January, so technically, I think I can still make resolutions for 2017!  In my quilt guild, we have a UFO challenge each year where we list one UFO that has been around for awhile that really, really needs to get finished.  This year I listed my bordered periwinkle quilt that has been around for at least 3 years.  I should never have started it.  It is paper pieced, and I have never liked (trying not to use the word "hate") paper piecing.  Somehow, it always sounds wonderful, but when I get down to actually working on it, it's not so wonderful.  Anyway, that is my main UFO project to get finished this year.  


We also have another opportunity to list all (or as many as we choose to) of our UFO's and see how many we can complete during the year.  Here is my list for 2017 (yes, it is all of the UFO's I have):
1.  Curved Log Cabin - currently with my mom being hand-quilted.
2.  En Provence - this is the Bonnie Hunter mystery quilt that I didn't like, but have worked out a slightly different setting for.  I am finishing the last of the purple/neutral tri recs units and can then start putting the blocks together.  Here is my new design of the quilt.
3.  Scrappy Stars (Civil War 9-patches from our guild exchange last year).  I was cutting all the necessary parts to start putting these together and realized I needed more light fabrics.  So, I HAD to go fabric shopping.  I picked up a few more and hope to get the cutting finished soon.
4.  Red 9 Patches (also from our guild exchange).  I want to set these together with hourglass blocks, but am having difficulty selecting fabrics.  I did pick up a couple of things to try at the above mentioned shopping trip.
5.  Sewing Machines Wall Hanging - Got it out and put the border on it and it's headed off to be quilted.
6.  Happily Scrappily Irish (4-patch guild exchange last year) - it's off to be quilted and I even have the binding made and ready to put on it!!
7.  Quartered Strips - off to be quilted too!
8.  Cici's Quilt - that's not really the name of the quilt, but since she approved (rolled around in) each of the fabrics, that's what I'm calling it.  I'm taking it to be quilted today.  I even pieced the batting and backing to help use up scraps!
9.  Flannel Rag Quilt - It's FINISHED!!!!  I completed this quilt during the weekend our guild retreat was cancelled because of the BIG ICE STORM we were supposed to get.  I have to say that I love it and have used it several times already.  Obviously Cici likes it too!


Another goal I have this year is to try to be a more consistent blogger.  Hopefully, I can blog once a week (probably on Mondays).  It might not always happen, but it's the goal!  

On a different note, our Ukrainian daughter finally got her Christmas present.  We were so glad to Skype with her when she opened it.  Here is the quilt we sent her.

It was twin-sized to fit either her bed at home or school.  Pam R. quilted it for me.  Yuliya is supposed to send a photo when she gets it on her bed.  

Also for Christmas my DH got me tickets to the US Figure Skating Championships in Kansas City.  We went to 5 sessions of skating at the Sprint Center, stayed all night at the Crown Plaza, and had a great time (even squeezed in a visit to IKEA, my first!).

I have long been a fan of figure skating and it was amazing to see it in person.  
It was also great fun to see all the things you don't see on TV, like the resurfacing of the ice!
After 2 groups skate, they open the gate and all of these people walk on with a bucket of ice chips which they drop into all the divets in the ice and they tap them down and then 2 zamboni machines come on to resurface it.
And, yes, it was cold in there.  I wore a sweater, coat, and scarf and had a blanket for my legs.  DH had a stocking cap and long underwear on.  It was a fabulous experience though.  One thing I will probably never have the opportunity to do again...........check that one off the bucket list!
Christi

No comments:

Post a Comment