About Me

My photo
I live in Mid Missouri on a farm with my husband and daughter.

Friday, December 14, 2018

Waste Not, Want Not

I recently (finally!) got to visit my sister and family in Iowa and see both boys play basketball.  Jackson starts on the freshmen team and Carter is a junior and starts on varsity.  I was able to get a quick photo with them as they got home from school.
Of course, we are all standing on our tippy toes trying to be taller!  The varsity team won and I got to witness Carter's first varsity DUNK!  

On the way home Saturday, there was a stop in Winterset, IA to visit the Iowa Quilt Museum.  The exhibit was titled "Waste Not, Want Not"................Scrap Quilts!!!!
My parents were with me and we each got to vote on our favorite for viewer's choice.

Here are some of my favorites and some that were just "interesting":

 This was titled Jacob & Joseph........a Jacob's Ladder block in many colors!

 I loved the quilting design as well as all the colors and patterns.
This is the one my mom voted for.

Then there was this old postage stamp quilt............  3/4" finished squares from the 1800's!


I almost voted for this one because of all the amazing tiny pieces.

The lady working in the museum probably voted for this next one.  She had described it to us very enthusiastically before letting us in to see the quilts.  It's made from old dresser scarves, pillowcases, etc.

These close-ups will show the custom quilting around all the parts and pieces.
And here is the entire quilt.  It didn't photograph as well as some of the others.  It was pretty amazing to look at.

And another postage stamp quilt with bigger - 1" squares!  

You can see she wasn't afraid to use any fabric!  What is it Bonnie Hunter always says, "There are no ugly fabrics.  You're just not cutting small enough pieces!"

This was my dad's choice........... It had amazing colors and lots of little pieces.


This one interested me just because of the uniqueness of the setting for scrap half square triangles.  It was very old.


It had definitely seen some love.

This was one that I just found "interesting".



And then there were the ties..........  This thing was huge and tacked, not quilted.  There were some really ugly ties in this quilt too.  It had to be heavy.



And I also really liked this one.............Haystacks.
 And I liked the quilting design in it.


So which one did vote for??????

 This one!  Bonnie Hunter's Pineapple Crazy!  I would never make it, but totally appreciate all the tiny piecing of scraps into something this amazing.
This was not all of the quilts we saw, but just some that I took photos of.  

If you are ever in Winterset, you should definitely stop in.  And there is a quilt shop in the same block as well as a Ben Franklin!  I confess............we did stop at Ben Franklin, but I didn't buy any fabric!

Christi

1 comment: